Giving up

dannyboy65

I just finished my first year of college. I wanted to get into the arts everybody that knows me knows I am a good drawer and have been told so many times. Well I sent my portfolio in and the teacher doesn't like people who have autism and she knew because of meetings. Well she pretty much told me my portfolio for the art course sucked and looked like it was drawn by a 12 year old. Now I don't know what I'll do...

Meggy0001

Don't take one persons opinion to heart and like you said yourself it's mostly personal rather than talent wise.

Does it mean you didn't get in to something or?

My friend does art and she is amazing but there was always a teacher who hated her work and made sure she knew about it and she is now top of the class at university :)Keep your head up :D!

dannyboy65

Don't take one persons opinion to heart and like you said yourself it's mostly personal rather than talent wise.

Does it mean you didn't get in to something or?

My friend does art and she is amazing but there was always a teacher who hated her work and made sure she knew about it and she is now top of the class at university :)Keep your head up :D!

Well its a course I really wanted to get into and it teaches you all about art and I wanted to upgrade my skills which were already pretty good. She has been known to not like people who have autism and I think that is why she didn't accept me.

Lilly789

Its possible it is poor, and it has nothing to do with whether she likes you or not. If it is bad, thats not a terrible thing because you can get advice on how to improve.
My family is heavily involved in the professional art world and one of my best friends exhibits in NYC and is an art lecturer at university too. Being a good drawer isnt good enough - its about composition, etc etc, all those formal terms which amateurs usually have little knowledge of. Having an amateur saying "omg that's great!" doesnt mean its good. Unfortunately at a university level, there are standards you must meet.

Otherwise, you can ask your college for your work to be assessed by someone else because you feel you are not being fairly assessed (this is a completely legitimate thing to do at any university - Ive done it myself).