Getting trained on the job & communication skills

voodoochild16

Hey all,
So I had bad communication skills with getting trained for certain jobs in the past, but I was capable of finding work where I could basically work with bosses that were willing to teach me certain things despite that difficulty.

It did improve later on, it was simply a process of slowing down and shit, but you know how we tend to talk to fast and be hesitant with people?. It still can be an issue sometimes, but I am simply asking if anyone else here has had similar experiences in work and how they overcame it?.

jaim38

I had similar experiences in volunteer work. My communication skills were horrible before I volunteered. Now I've improved but sometimes I still accidentally use filler words such as "yeah, uhm, uh". Word salad is also a problem. One way that I learn is by imitating others with better communication skills. I observe their word choice, word patterns, etc and I try to match their style or energy. It helps if you have a close friend or family member who's professional and very good at communicating, because then you could practice with this person.

DanielLewis

Yeah I have this problem. I'm currently getting trained for a blue collar career and it's tough developing work relationships with people. I'm fine communicating what needs to be communicated for the job, but any other type of communication is a challenge. It's hard because I'm going to have to go for my interview soon to start my career and my boss even told me I come across as unexcited about the job I'm interviewing for and uptight. I try to put it all aside though because more important than anxiety and how others view me is survival....being able to earn a paycheck and support myself.

voodoochild16

Yeah people's opinions are now the last thing I think about, I am past that. If someone tells me what they think of me, or how they think I reacted to something and it didn't seem normal to them, I just brush it off. I can't be perfect and this is the way it ****ing is.

Overtime I did learn that slowing down for everything related to social activities or social situations is the key. Well, obviously it is but, I have to keep reminding myself that everytime.

The only other issue is when I don't hear what someone says because they talk so fast, it's embarrassing to have to ask themselves to repeat what they said most often. I try to take the time to think of what they may have said, but my worst habit is pretending I know what their talking about and nodding. But I hate the feeling when it's something important I may have missed and they walk away, then I go chasing after them to ask what they really said, so what's the point in pretending then?. FML.

jaim38

^I also have a problem with asking people to repeat themselves because I don't want to embarass the other person. When someone speaks with a very heavy accent or speaks very fast, I'm not 100% sure what they said but I pretend to. Sometimes I don't need to hear every single word to understand the entire meaning of the message. Apparently, I'm not the only one who does this, because I've seen professionals such as lawyers do it too.

voodoochild16

^I also have a problem with asking people to repeat themselves because I don't want to embarass the other person. When someone speaks with a very heavy accent or speaks very fast, I'm not 100% sure what they said but I pretend to. Sometimes I don't need to hear every single word to understand the entire meaning of the message. Apparently, I'm not the only one who does this, because I've seen professionals such as lawyers do it too.

Good point, I've heard it from regular people as well. But I think I just did it more often in the past. If they have a problem with me asking them to repeat themselves, **** them.