Getting along with Parents and People in General

chris11

I have very little in common with my Father. For instance, we have no hobbies in common, nor do we have interests in common. My father is obsessed with conforming to social norms, which is fine, but I apprently "am incapable of understanding them." But, what I mean by this is that if you do not conform to one, then, automatcally, there is something wrong with you. For instance, if you don't make eye contact, then you are not paying attention to him. This is such bull****. Eye contact carries no linguistic information, and I don't think there is any use for any other information that it may carry. He's interested in sports, and I couldn't give a **** about them.

He "thinks" with emotions, and I can not even understand what this even means. When someone makes errors in reasoning, I have to point it out. I do this because I think that thinking you have established something when you really haven't is a significant problem. Naturally, when i point these errors out to him, he gets pissed off. After getting pissed off, he then proceeds to tell me how I reject everything he says (simply wrong) and how he is always wrong and I am always right. HAH. When I'm discussing an issue with people, I often don't even think that I support either issue. The default is simply to argue against any one perspective (especially your own, if you have one). By doing so, you gain insight into the issue that you would not otherwise.

Regardless, it should not be of any suprise that our relationship is entirely dysfunctional. Of course, I am not saying that this isn't due, in part, to me--it certainly is. For instance, I told him that I would prefer to live alone (provided I could afford to), than with him. I didn't see that there was anything wrong with this statement. It's simply a fact that I would rather live by myself than with him--especially when we have daily conflicts. He construed this as I think that I 'suffer' by living with him. This statement is also false.

In highschool, a teacher thought I had Asperger's. I looked it up then, and thought that it fit quite well. My Father, of course, thought otherwise, and proceeded to say that it was the 'in' thing. I.E. It's 'cool' to have Asperger's. Oh yeah, I want to have Asperger's syndrome because that would mean that I am largely incompetent, socially... Sounds like something desirable...

I'm posting this here because it is possible that someone may have an insight into how to get along with people you have very little in common with. If anyone has any insight into this, I would appreciate it.