Genetic Factors?

nonsuch

I have suffered from blushing for decades...and I think a lot of it has to do with my Irish Swedish heritage...the worst possible effing combo. Fair skinned people, who burn like crazy at the hint of sunlight..That coupled with an extremely traumatic childhood and the ensuing extreme Social Anxiety anyway..I felt I had made alot of progress recently..until yesterday...a woman I work with told me my face was getting red-which of course makes it get redder! She and another person I work with like to torture me by playing a song on their computers which I've asked then nicely to stop doing because it reminds me of my ex..but they just seem more gleeful than ever to continue with this I've always effing hating my skin with a passion...I mean its been a nightmare. And people are cruel. This same woman who I'm sure thought she was teasing...weighs 350 lbs at 5'4". The other woman is huge too. I am not anti-obese here..its just interesting that their sensitivity seems to be lacking... I can imagine if I told her..hey,,maybe you shouldn't eat that SECOND lunch..we're going to have to widen the doorway soon if you keep up...she'd probably find a way to get me fired....

Last edited:

Phoenixx

I suffer from really bad blushing too, and fair skin does not help at all. I'm sure genetics do play a role with the blushing somewhere, but I think it mostly all comes down to the why, aka past experiences and fears, etc. Some of my friends used to tease me about my blushing all the time. It was horrible, and of course I'd only get redder just because they were pointing it out.

nonsuch

I guess I take solace in the fact that some people find it charming...but I've always envied people who never blush..some people even take it as anger or high blood pressure...guess we gotta get over ourselves somehow

luckycharms

I'm also supposed to be from Swedish/Irish heritage and I blush.

If you make me mad, I turn red.
If I think you are cute, I turn red.
Embarrass me, I turn red.
Sex....not just red, but red blotches. Face and neck.
If I'm slightly overheated....red.
Drink two glasses of wine....red.
Spend 38 seconds in the sun w/o SPF 3000...you guessed it, red.

I feel your pain. But I have noticed something weird. Sometimes I get the blushing/burning face feeling and I go look in the mirror and it's not there.

Phoenixx

I guess I take solace in the fact that some people find it charming...but I've always envied people who never blush..some people even take it as anger or high blood pressure...guess we gotta get over ourselves somehow
^ Yeah I envy those people too. I honestly can't imagine not being able to blush. I absolutely hate it. Like luckycharms said, I blush with basically everything too: anger, embarrassment, talking to someone attractive, and being slightly overheated.

doesit

I live in Ireland and fair amount of Irish suffer with some sort of blushing or flushing but in most their cases its due to Rosacrea,skin problems or alcohol :)
and what i noticed most of them are thick skinned and it sorta looks natural on rough skin,but the people i see most are always of the older age,but its worse if you are still young and pale skinned,because i always look,like i was sunburned to death :mad: although theres might be not a glimpse of sun,and yes its worse in hot weather,but most of it comes down fake sensation of overheating :/