Gaming Addiction

OCDd

Hi again, try not to judge me or laugh. I play xbox a lot but only on the weekends. i play like 8 hours on friday after school and like 16 hours on saturday and like 12 hours on sunday, would you call this addiction? its one of my favorite hobbys and its really the only thing that takes my mind of things. it really makes me happy though, would you say its bad i play that much, i only play on those days though.

I don't think that's bad at all. I play a lot of video games. A lot. It's a hobby. Somebody likes to draw? Somebody likes to play basketball? Coolbeans. I like to play video games.

EDIT: And there's a huge culture behind video games. It's basically a lifestyle. You shouldn't feel bad for doing something you enjoy.

Last edited:

O'Killian

Assuming there's no hyperbole here, that seems like a bit much (and this from a guy who spent about three hours each on Civ V and Borderlands 2 today). Still it's not really bad or anything, and as long as you're not ignoring other important things or people it's fine.

ImNotMyIllness

That's excessive. I'm sure some of that time could be put to better use. But, I love XBOX too. I love playing Halo and Outfit against my nephews. It can be very addicting.

CaptainArgh

I use games as an escape - JK:JA, ET, ETQW, COD4 and still TF2 (to mention the online gaming). I always have. I dont tend to enjoy them much anymore coz I'm always concious that I use it for an escape, it doesnt stop me playing them though :) I am addicted to escaping stuff (smoking, caffeine, gaming, etc) so yeah, i'd consider it an addiction for me personally.

If you arent using them to escape ur $h!t, then ur fine. If ur using them to escape, then I'd have a look at how much ur using, and control it. I now try and use games as a reward for good behaviour rather than a space filler.

gustavofring

I think it is bad once you start losing track of reality and start procrastinating with school, life, friends etc. in favor of some stupid game. In other words, don't let it control your life. You seem to be aware of it though, but I must say honestly that is a lot of time, and I'd advice you to re-evaluate it.

Valhalla

I guess that depends very much if you have friends to start with for example. And how procrastinating life is defined. I'm not focusing on you now, but it seems people have a difficult time with computer games. There is television, music, movies, sports and multiple other things that can occupy lots of time, yet gaming gets most if not all of the blame. Celluar Phones and similar technology are even worse problems, yet they are accepted.

Last edited:

gustavofring

Yeah, I didn't mean to be putting the blame on games specifically. But games and the internet are probably the biggest escapism method out there right now, and give the biggest sense of a virtual world (a second life) and faux achievement.

You're right that other forms of passing time could also take up a lot of wasted time, but atleast with sports for example there's physical benefits.

I'm not saying games are the devil or anything, I like to play myself sometimes. It can be a very fun passtime, but too much of everything can be harmful. Try and find balance.

FallenFeathers

Still it's not really bad or anything, and as long as you're not ignoring other important things or people it's fine.

I like this answer :) Sums up how I feel too. Instead of just going off numbers, I would ask am I avoiding other important stuff to game? Is it disrupting things like my routine or my sleep pattern? Am I neglecting stuff I could or should be doing to game?

I think when you start to answer yes to all those sort of questions, then maybe what was just a hobby you spent a lot of time doing is possibly becoming a problem. I don't think using things like gaming as an escape is a bad thing in moderation, but yeah as soon as any hobby or escape starts to have a hold on you to the point you neglect other ares of your life, that's when I would personally really stop and look at my habits.

I'm really into my gaming, and with living on my own I can get really tempted to say sod it...I'm going to put that and that off and just game. But I try and turn that into motivation... I say to myself right... if I hit these goals today, do what I need to do but also just do some positive goals in general too... then I can go and jump on a new game for a few hours and not feel bad because I've done everything that needs doing and more.

Might sound kind of childish? But it works for me.

OCDd

I use games as an escape - JK:JA, ET, ETQW, COD4 and still TF2 (to mention the online gaming). I always have. I dont tend to enjoy them much anymore coz I'm always concious that I use it for an escape, it doesnt stop me playing them though :) I am addicted to escaping stuff (smoking, caffeine, gaming, etc) so yeah, i'd consider it an addiction for me personally.

If you arent using them to escape ur $h!t, then ur fine. If ur using them to escape, then I'd have a look at how much ur using, and control it. I now try and use games as a reward for good behaviour rather than a space filler.

heck yea man, i still play cod4 also even in 2013, the game is suuuppper old and not that many people play anymore and i still play. its the only game in the call of duty series that is actually good/fun. oh and also thanks man this is how i feel too, so i can relate

OCDd

thanks to all who posted, you guys have helped a lot. i have read all your posts and they have all helped, thanks a lot, and God Bless us all