Friend getting divorced

Deardiary

So a friend I've known for years is getting divorced. She told me of this by email. Any idea what to say? I'm at a loss how to reply.

I would be the same in that situation. I find being neutral is best.

"Sorry to hear that." You might add in "anything I can do to help?" It's a friend so I am sure if there is way ... you'd want help out.

Or you can take that as an idea of what to write back or say.

I try to remain neutral and vague. Might lead to more information for a potential correct response.

Deardiary

Thanks. That's good advice. I usually feel like I have to have a definitive response to things like this. But if I really have nothing to say, neutral sounds most honest.

coyote

when someone says, "I'm getting divorced"

just ask, "Oh, is that good or bad news?"

they'll tell you how they feel - then take it from there

coyote

That won't make them feel like we should know it's good or bad?

why should we know? - it's not our marriage

plenty goes on behind closed doors

by asking them, you show that you care about the individual, and aren't just making an assumption based on your own values or perception of the marriage from the outside

by asking them, you show that you care about the individual, and aren't just making an assumption based on your own values or perception of the marriage from the outside

Very true!
Many marriages appear to be going ok from the outside, but on the inside they are quite toxic.

Very true!
Many marriages appear to be going ok from the outside, but on the inside they are quite toxic.

True. Understood.