Forum fighting

I think this idea (however well intended) isn't particularly something I agree with. I think if people on the forum were allowed (or actually invited to, as it sounds here) to have b**ching fights on one part of the board it could create tensions with the members on other areas of the forum, not intentionally, or open nastiness, but I think it could make it unpleasant.

Also, some of the more vulnerable members could be very paranoid about being written about in the 'flaming' forum, and very hurt if someone actually wrote about them in there. I personally would be furious if someone wrote nasty things about me on the board, because my personal opinion is that private disputes should be kept private, and I think a lot of people would cease to post because if they do post they are allowing the possibility of someone having a go at them publically on the forum.

I do get where you're coming from though, the board seems to be filled with angry people at the moment, and the smallest sparks are triggering nastiness, and something should be done, but I'm just not convinced that this is the right way to go about it.

Just my thoughts :)

Remus

Staff member
Flame sections are a bad idea for sites for people with mental health issues.

This was pretty much proved on SAUK, as bitterness continues and often fights spill out to other parts of the forum.

Also Chatroom vents tended to sprawl onto the main site too but both places were not run by the same people.

I dont want to see it and I doubt very much the webmaster would introduce it anywho

cincykid

i still think they're fun...and they're just words on screen...and they're words from people you probably have never met and never will meet...the only thing I don't like is that I never know how the fights started, by the time I see the posts the threads have been locked and sometimes the people have been banned...

Toad

I think that more often than not, the people who attack members originally are people who come here for the sole purpose of causing trouble. As a whole i think people with SP are not going to attack other members because we have a respect for what other people are going through and we know how devistating attacking people can be. Having a flame only section would just be an excuse for trolls to do what they do anyways and there would no longer be consequences for their actions.

cincykid said:
i still think they're fun...and they're just words on screen...and they're words from people you probably have never met and never will meet...the only thing I don't like is that I never know how the fights started, by the time I see the posts the threads have been locked and sometimes the people have been banned...

Yes they are just words on the screen, however, these words are attacking your online persona and reputation. This is a lot of the time why people get upset when this happens. They feel they need to attack the other person to defend themself in order to stop people from thinking they are helpless, and maintain their reputation...it is similar to why people worry about post counts. I don't really understand that to well and respect people who get attacked more if they just ignore the attacks on them, rather than retaliate.

I think it is a good thing that these threads are locked/deleted, because there is no need for this...leaving the threads open just promotes more retaliations and flooding the forum with useless bickering. However, I also think that the person who was attacked has a right to see what was said about them.

Remus

Staff member
pea said:
Oh
This was pretty much proved on SAUK
missed that one before. Yeah but that site had some SERIOUS problem cases frequenting their forum. Probably people who should have never been there in the first place- I mean dangerous psychopathic types threatening to kill people etc.. (and meaning it). That place was just scary at one point & I remember thinking "christ, why arent the mods directing these people elsewhere or keeping tabs"

which is why me and chilling have a tight reign on this place

who were you on SAUK pea?

Remus

Staff member
ahh yeah, think I remember that

well we all start with a clean slate here, what happens elsewhere isnt the mods concern.

Chilling__Echo

i agree. it's not like we like to ban people anyway. not to mention it's a bitch sometimes b/c half the time the webmaster isn't around and our complaints become outdated :|

not sure how i feel about a venting section, i've seen it at other forums, and i don't know how i'd feel (much less someone else) if someone instigated something with me on there. i mean, what if the other person doesn't want to fight?

Chilling__Echo

that's true, and completely go along with that outlook, most of the time people get in trouble just by retaliating... but it's best just to let the other person spout off on their own and make themselves look bad :|

and yeah, i've found through the years that i just don't wanna know some things, especially what people think of me :oops:

Remus

Staff member
This is a mental health support site, its main purpose is to offer somewhere people can come and talk about thier problems, offer support and advice, be a shoulder to lean on, why oh why we need a "flame section" for people to spout off and be nasty to each other is beyond me (or people having a go at someone who is so upset they cannot respond), if you fall out with someone on here, cut them off, dont talk, why have some vendetta launched against them in some flame section?

it would just breed hate, its not a case of wrapping anyone up in cotton wool,its more a place like this need stricter rules than most because people can be more sensitive and vulnerable, also the internet gives people a place to be far nastier than they would in real life.

I was involved in the SAUK chatrooms for a while, one guy there and me hated each other, always argued, insulted each other, were nasty. You know what???? we met at a SAUK meet and after that got on like a house on fire!!!!

:lol:

Its wierd how the internet can twist things :twisted:

Remus

Staff member
In the last year the posts have vastly increased here, the membership has gone up alot too, not exactly sure why but I remember it when I first joined, it was like 4 posts a day or something, now the webmaster has capped the place coz people are posting so much :lol:

new people seem alot more keen to post too, once they realise its not a clique here and anyone can post, yup some posts still dont get replies and people arnt happy but that happens everywhere. Hope people dont take it to heart to much

sometimes I think I'm a thread killer myself.............

:p