Forced to talk

Cool_Un_Cool

My mom always use to tell me; "try to not be rude and talk this time."
She always use to do this to me.
Anyone else?

_Brittany_

omfg yes! and i hate that!!!
my mom use to tell me that ALL the time when she would bring me with her to work.
it made me feel so pathetic and retarded, and i was only about 9 or 10 at the time...

TAMPA-BAY

My mom has dont that to me my whole life. I ve finaly came to the conclusion that they must want me to be some kind of politican.LOL

I ll never get why they put such an emphis on me talking none stop. I talk quite a lot ...depending on the situation. Mainly I just like to absorb things before I go running my mouth. Also I like to some time just listen. Whats even more intresting is how angry they get about it.

very_shy

It happens to me also, all the time, when I go somewhere with my parents. They say to me: Just talk, even if you say ridicolous things :? However I can't help since I only talk when I have something to say. :!: And, yes, as TAMPA-BAY said - what is wrong if we sometimes just listen?

miss_amy

Why is not talking rude?? i don't get it I think its only rude if you don't answer someone if they speak to you or don't say thank you etc. But as for just talking......

I think some gobby people who talk non stop, interupt or don't let other people have a chance are the rude ones.

Something wound me up yesterday. I went to a DIY store because I had to replace something. The woman on the checkout talked non stop over our heads to the woman on the next checkout, served us while shouting over and totally ignored us. Now I think that is rude. If my staff talked to someone else while serving I would pull them up on it.

de

its gas when ever i was asked a question by an adullt as a kid and i was with my parents i would always get embarrased and if i didnt speak loud enough or give a good answer they would say ahh hes a bit shyjesus he gos a great shade of red or are you shy there s no reason to be shy,this to me even as a 5 year old i hated and always made me feel infereior and like there ws something wrong with me
would you say to a kid my god your ugly you know you are ugly right or your a fat little tub lose some wait, it has the same effect on a kids confidence ,if your constantly being told your shy or to speak up as a kid then what chance do you have of growing out of it I HATE THE WORD SHY :evil: :evil:

bitingthepea

toothpastekisses said:
Argh yes this sucks enormously, my dad just assumes that I'm anti-social or something and doesn't even TRY to understand this bastard that's engulfing my life... what makes it worse is that he tells other people that I'm "quiet" (like my new driving instructor *cringe*) so I feel I have to live up to this "label".

omg yes same i get assumed im anti social and when people tell you your quiet it makes u cringe ! i hate it so much i can feel myself boiling up inside but obv i jus smile and go, i no.....
n its bad when people mention that your quiet infront of a group!

dottie

my parents say, "be sociable," which is basically the same thing. :roll: i have nothing to talk about. SO WHAT? if people speak to me, i will respond but that's about it.

at work someone asked me why i am so quiet. i told them i have selective mutism (well, i don't know if i technically do but i said it to shut him up or give him food for thought). he's like, "is that like selective hearing?" i just kind of laughed it off and walked away. awkward as always.

if i don't want to talk BIG DEAL, ASSHOLES. leave me alone.

Andrew

I was constantly told that I was rude and anti-social. Thanks for the support mum. The funny thing is, I never found anything rude about people not talking. It sounds more like they just wanted to pretend that their son was a normal and functioning person for the few hours that their friends came over. The reality is that I didn't want to have anything to do with my parents because they were terrible parents, and therefore did not want to talk to their friends either.

dottie

ugh. tonight at work my boss asked me why i am so quiet. i just said that people ask me that a lot. i tried to laugh it off. he is like, "so it must be everyone else then, huh?" in a joking way. but still i felt it was kind of rude! he went on to say that most everyone else at my work is loud.

YES I KNOW I AM QUIET. THANKS FOR POINTING IT OUT LIKE THAT IS GOING TO HELP.

people don't understand that it is insecurity and not snobbery. i don't know how to be like everyone else. i don't understand how to be that way even though it is second nature to most everyone. not me. i am socially retarded. let me just write it on my forehead so you can leave me alone. thanks.

morningstar

Why can't people just accept that I don't talk why can't there be any comfortable silences. They just don't understand that not everyone is great at talking, or has stuff to say all the time; and that makes it even worse.

Livingwithoutlivin

How I loathe the times when I was actually enthusiastic to talk, and i talked very much, only to have somebody tell me that when I actually open my mouth, I don't stop. That alone probably made me want to stay quiet, for the purpose of impressing others, and that led to this habit that most likely led to my anxiety. I have always tried to be liked by others, and now I gave up and decided to keep to myself, because it's better than the bad advice that all those people imparted to me. This endless cycle of the world around us molding us to be something awful can only be stopped by being surrounded by family who tell us otherwise, and if even our own families give us advice that makes us go about our own lives the wrong way, then they are so to blame, cause we are a reflection of their bad parenting.