this can help a bit for those who have eye contact anxiety

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Good to hear that things are starting to improve for you, lily.

Equally great is how that YouTube video helped a lot and how you were able to apply the techniques discussed in it.

Though, you're also absolutely right about how positive affirmations help when it comes to our minds getting overwhelmed by anxiety.

lily

Good to hear that things are starting to improve for you, lily.

Equally great is how that YouTube video helped a lot and how you were able to apply the techniques discussed in it.

Though, you're also absolutely right about how positive affirmations help when it comes to our minds getting overwhelmed by anxiety.
Thanks so much for your encouragement, Graeme! that's so sweet and kind of you.

Xervello

basically what I got from this video, the trick is to calm your brain and even say a little positive affirmation to yourself. Mine is (what affected me in the past in a school was) the truth is "there's nothing wrong with the way you look". And especially when I'm with family, I feel less anxious anyway. I have to keep practicing. Make sure you don't have any subconscious negative thought in your head.

Apologies if I'm prying, but have you always had problems with eye contact or did it begin during high school? I only ask because I think a lot of my anxieties began around or shortly after puberty. When I was a kid, I was pretty independent and had little to no social anxiety.

Funny you mention having less anxiety when around family. A few years back I visited a friend (who I met at this forum) and I hadn't physically been around an adult friend since I was in high school. I noticed being with them in public places, my social anxiety/hyperawareness diminished quite a lot. It's amazing how being in the company of someone you trust can relax a person. Sadly, we're no longer friends, but it was a good lesson to learn.

lily

Apologies if I'm prying, but have you always had problems with eye contact or did it begin during high school? I only ask because I think a lot of my anxieties began around or shortly after puberty. When I was a kid, I was pretty independent and had little to no social anxiety.

Funny you mention having less anxiety when around family. A few years back I visited a friend (who I met at this forum) and I hadn't physically been around an adult friend since I was in high school. I noticed being with them in public places, my social anxiety/hyperawareness diminished quite a lot. It's amazing how being in the company of someone you trust can relax a person. Sadly, we're no longer friends, but it was a good lesson to learn.
No, it's ok to ask! :) My problem with eye contact started around gr. 9. I was like you, no anxiety when I was a kid. Sorry to hear you're no longer friends but nice lesson to learn!

Last edited: