Fluoxetine has me worried.

SickCycleCarousel

My doctor put me Fluoxetine (20mg) for anxiety and OCD. It sounded fine and dandy to me and I couldn't wait to start taking them. But then I read the possible side effects and now I'm terrified of taking them. I already suffer from anxiety; hostility; aggressiveness; intrusive thoughts; and trouble sleeping/getting to sleep and a few others but the thought of making them worse and including hallucinations into the mix has me scared out of my mind. I know it's not very likely I will experience the side effects but I can't stop thinking I might be one of the few to experience them. One of my worst fears is hallucinating, and I now have it in my head that the pills will make me crazy.

I don't want to suffer from anxiety/OCD/depression any more than I already am. I'm feeling quite conflicted. On one hand I want to take them, but on the other...I'm scared and I'm regretting telling my Dr. I have anxiety.

I feel like I'm losing my sanity and becoming paranoid. Can anyone else relate?

Dude, it's just the OCD, silly :p

I took fluoxetine for a while - these are the ONLY side-effects that I got:

-Gained weight
-Trouble sleeping
-Upset stomache (burning feeling).

It's not that bad, plus you can go off it really easily.... i just stopped taking it suddenly (did experience bad depression for a day or two but I was fine.) IF you do go off of it though, you should probably do it less than 'suddenly' - like take 1 pill every 2 days first..

Don't worry, it doesnt do much :), besides of giving you this happy feeling.

Remus

Staff member
Ahh prozac, yeah I got put on that back in the day. Didn't work for me but didn't notice much side affects apart from a little more anxiety which I gather is normal for the first month. I'm suspicious of meds too but it's only an SSRI and pretty smalltime, give it a whirl!

SickCycleCarousel

Hey guys, thanks for putting my mind at ease. I'll probably give it a shot tomorrow before I go to bed as my anxiety hits its peak at night.

EscapeArtist

I wouldn't worry too much, try it, more importantly start on a low dose and bump it up gradually.

I had a very bad experience with it, but I am under 18, which puts me at risk for that. If you start slow and don't let your doc bump up your dosage too quickly, even if you are having a bad reaction, it will be gradual enough for you to catch it, go off of it, and it'll be gone. So no worries, just start low if you're worried

Lostinthemusic

Hey guys, thanks for putting my mind at ease. I'll probably give it a shot tomorrow before I go to bed as my anxiety hits its peak at night.

How did it turn out? With sleeping especially, that is already a problem for me.

I just started taking the same things and I've been worried about the same kinds of things. It seems strange that an anti-depressant would have some of the same side effects that it is supposed to stop.

maria123

I wonder how did it turn out?

When I tried similar medicine, It triggered bipolar disorder in me, so it's not completely safe if you have bad cards to start with.