First impressions and second chances

LonelyGirl

Basically, I met some people a few months ago who I really liked and wanted to become friends with, but because I was so quiet around them it didn't happen. I still see them on a regular basis and they sometimes say hello or ask how I am, but nobody really tries to make conversation - me because I'm so anxious and them because they know they won't get much of a response.

I'd really like to try and make friends with them again, but I'm worried they may have already made up their minds about me. They made an effort to get to know me and I didn't appear to be making an effort with them, although I really did try.

Is it possible to change someone's opinion of you after making a bad first impression? Has anyone ever been given another chance and succeeded the second time? How would I go about doing this?

danstelter

I agree with that reply. Things just didn't work out the first time around because of reasons that you cited. However, that doesn't mean that giving them a second try isn't worth the effort. Try inviting these people over to your place or to go out for a night on the town or for whatever it is that you think would be fun for all of you.

If they reject your request, keep in mind that people are busy and that you can keep asking again and again. If they are really interested in being friends, they will accept your request when they have time and make efforts to maintain the relationship. If they don't accept your request, don't take it personally and just move on. Most things don't work out the way we want them to, but if we keep at things, eventually some stuff does work out!

So keep at it and be patient!