Finding it hard to Re-visit shops because u'd be recognised

brownbag

Siberdib said:
I work on the till and customer service area in a major retail shop. Its just a part time job while im at uni. I find it hard to seem calm and not nervous while serving so many different people. Im usually ok but when theres a que of waiting customers and for example for some reason or another im the only person on till there could be about 10-15 people in the que obviously looking at you to see when they will be served. Working on customer service is worse though as it can take 10 minutes (maybe more sometimes) to solve a persons problem. Where i work is constantly busy also which dosent help as theres no restbite. I surpose its quite a bad part time job for someone with SA... but it pays well and im at uni so need the money.

I can totally relate to that :eek:

i used to do a job that required handling the registers and also the customer service point. n it was also quite much like how u described Siberdib. i got so exhausted from the anxiety it gave. especially when there were those 10-15 ppl standing there looking at u. some intense shit going on there. heh.. :wink:

MariahCarey

dzerklis said:
MariahCarey said:
omg i can so relate
unfortunately i've gone to extreme measures to avoid being recognised. like once i went into a shop in disguise as a witch, which was my old halloween outfit. i got loads of looks but no one actually said anythin not even the shop owner who's always got somethin to say when he sees me.

haha this made me laugh, imagining how it all could looklol, i hope youre having fun now too thinking about it :)

yeah you bet i am lol. its all sa's fault. it brings out the weirdo in me!

GIOLANDA

I hate being recognised,mainly because my mother usually argues with the shop owners. Then I want to disappear. I hate shops.

turtlegirl

My husband tends to handle all the grocery related stuff (pushing cart, paying etc). I just tag along, of course helping with what to buy ... Anyway at Winco made a comment about the routine, just basically commenting on how shy I was or something, it was a few years ago. So now I'm always paranoid someone is going to comment on my unfriendliness. At another store someone commented on my looks (they said I looked tired or sick, I felt and looked the way I normally do and totally wasn't expecting a comment like that). So now I'm double paranoid !

I feel especially uncomforable when the cashiers or baggers are joking with one another, being silly. I feel like we should chime in and they probably make fun of us when we don't (after we leave). Since I recognize them I'm sure they recognize us

About the being recognized for what you order, I think that's fairly common. We go to a coffee stand a lot and the workers know what we like. I'm impressed that the workers can remember so well!