Finding it differcult to work.

Jodie-Tyler

Hi,
I recently started a new job, and I love it. however it's an admin job, and although its not ABSOLUTELY necessary to use the phones, it's going to be part of any admin job 99.9% of the time.

As I'm on this site, I have social phobia, and part of that makes it very differcult to use phones. I only use a phone when I'm completely alone so I'm 100% sure no-one will hear me.
Its not having a perosn on the other end that's scary, it's having people listening in or around me that scares me.
Always feel like their judging me, and if I were to make a mistake they'd all be there to wistness it.
ANYWAY....

My boss has asked me to make a few phones calls and I've slickly got my way out of them and made emails instead, but I need to cover reception where I work on 14th of Oct, and I'm so scared.
Has anyone has this trouble and over come it? Or in the same place as me?

Appreciate any thoughts or opinions. :)

I like to be alone to make phone calls too. I don't like people listening in. Being at work has forced me to do a lot of things I used to fear, such as talking in front of groups. Its hard at first but gets easier. I have a big sense of achievement - almost disbelief - that i can now do stuff i thought impossible.

For you I suggest start challenging your fear. Know that it is ok to make mistakes, that people half-listen at best and usually don't care. Start gradually, with the door slightly open. I also switch on actor mode when I need, to bluff my way a bit.
half asleep so hope makes sense
:)

Jodie-Tyler

I like to be alone to make phone calls too. I don't like people listening in. Being at work has forced me to do a lot of things I used to fear, such as talking in front of groups. Its hard at first but gets easier. I have a big sense of achievement - almost disbelief - that i can now do stuff i thought impossible.

For you I suggest start challenging your fear. Know that it is ok to make mistakes, that people half-listen at best and usually don't care. Start gradually, with the door slightly open. I also switch on actor mode when I need, to bluff my way a bit.
half asleep so hope makes sense

Yeah it makes sense :)
I would start of with something small, like the door open as you said, but I don't work in an office per say...its a large room set out like call centre, so there are no doors to close and no where I can make a call alone.

I did explain to my boss that I'm uncomftable with using phones and she suggested helping out on reception an hour a day, observing the receptionist (whom I've already met and am very friendly with) and taking it slow.
Execpt it didn't go as planned, the receptionist wasn't told that I was there to observe at first, and I was thrown right into the deep end, and was left alone with the phones right away.
Since then I've missed the last 4 days of working there.

So that's why I don't know what to do anymore.
I really don't want to be annoying or rude and say "I can't use phones please give me another task."

dottie

reception sucks so bad for any socialphobe. i've jumped in and just did it because i had to- as hellish as it is. you WILL make mistakes and if anyone has a problem with it tell them to answer their own damn line. not really. but that is always what i wanted to say. eff reception.

Feathers

Hi Jodie!

Hm, I'd love to work at reception. :) I think.
I never tried it though. I've done some talking on the phone though.

I was a bit uncomfortable with it first. Especially in a different language, I was afraid to make mistakes etc. It helped to talk when other people were not in the office. And then I saw the other side was friendly and it was better! When you get to know the people a bit it can get better!

Also, some people told me I have a great/friendly voice and this helped too..
So you may want to work on your voice alone, at home. You can try recording yourself (there are fee programs like Audacity online) Know that RL sounds better and mostly recordings are suckier, you can work on some things like the 'err' or such though.. Also it helps to have a prepared speech and practise it. Maybe in front of a mirror or in your head, etc.

If I have to call someone I write notes. What is my intention/wish with this call? What do I want to find out or have them do or say? Then, I write an 'agenda' - what to talk about, or 'draft' of the telephone call.
If that turns out too long, I make 'short notes', just a few pointers to help me quickly see it. So I may have (at least) three pieces of paper when I call someone. (Also sometimes do research ahead, google them, check their website or any interviews etc, so I know them a bit better and how their views on certain things are. And that helps. BIG time.)

It also helps to write 'worst scenario' and what you can do then, or brainstorm what you can do to avoid it. And then 'best scenario' and focus on that one, and know the truth is usually inbetween..

Also it helps to call someone else before calling, eg your friend or favorite relative who is cheery and talkative so you get in 'the mode'...

I find it easier to make or take a few calls at a time then, cause I'm 'in the mode'...

I am still scared to call people sometimes, the above things help very much. Or journalling about it or writing options.. If I don't call, who will? Often it can also be easier to call than e-mail, some people don't return e-mails in time or don't write enough info. Especially if you need to discuss any details or such. So phoning can be quicker and much more efficient sometimes.

There's also a 'school' for receptionists in London, if I had money I'd love to go perhaps.. Maybe see if there's anything available locally or look for tips online.. Mostly people are okay on the phone as long as you're friendly and polite... Even if you make a mistake, you can apologize and say you're new on the job or such..

Jodie-Tyler

Dear Dottie,
HAHAH, I know what you mean! Today I went there for an hour, and the phone just would not stop calling, luckerly I was put on computer work at reception, so I didn't actually have to use the phones, but at times I was just thinking 'Can you not ring reception for someone's number WRITE IT DOWN so you don't have to keep calling!" HEHE
When I was left alone on the 1st day it was horrible, and I had an idea to just leave the phone off the hook so no-one would get through but then people will tell my boss or who ever...
'How come no-one could get hold of reception the other day?, who was on it?"
"Oh that was Jodie...I'll talk to her."
So scratch that idea!

Jodie-Tyler

Dear Feathers,
Thank you for all the tips I will DEFFO try them out.
I'll let you know how it goes....when I do it.

You can start small like someone else already mentioned. Another thing that helps is to practise the opening line... something that you can be confident in. At least that's what I did... "Good morning, this is dronesy calling from (blah blah blah corporation). I'd like to... can I just check with you... blah blah blah..."

Usually I get jittery after that.. and then as more things become routine, they get easier. Hmm.. actually I sometimes think that those people who sound sooo confident right off the bat are that way just because they really don't give a damn either way. Us with anxiety care waaay too much, so we just have to take things one step at a time.

Jodie-Tyler

Dronee,

That's so true. Yeah I think next time I need to make call I'll take bits of everyone's advice and put them together, so I'll write down what I'm going to say first, but I do love the opening lines you've posted, so I'll deffo use them.

Everyone,
The only other thing is, how do I over come my fear of phone calls ect.... when I get the phone call and I have no idea who it is or what thet want.
I don't have to time to write down a list of things they may want to talk to me about...so how do I deal with that?