Finding a psychiatrist

aj

If you want to look for a psychiatrist because you've never been able to make friends, have SA, and all the rest, what 'type' should you look for, ie. is it a special field or anything? Do all psychiatrists generally do everything?

aj

Thank you for those, I'm sorry I took a while to answer. Thing is, if they do things like CBT... can't you just do it yourself, at home, for free? Do they do anything special?

I haven't found them particullary usefull. I've learnt a lot more from reading books at home. Most of the stuff they say comes straight out of books, so you may as well save your money (they know how to charge).

The last 2 I've been to have given up on me, ie. refered me on to someone else. I'm kinda in limbo now and have lost faith in the system.

aj

Bugger. I was hoping I was going to be able to pay someone who knows what they're doing to try to get this problem sorted.

Noca

Banned
Psychologists I've found are really aggressive in defeating your mental illnesses while therapists seem to just mostly listen to you and dont provide treatment much.

Noca

Banned
In what way Noca? Psychologists don't do CBT? Arrrgh it's confusing.

Psychologists can do many forms of therapy including CBT, but they cost more than a therapist to see. They mostly figure out whats the best route to go based on your situation/problems, then you can follow up with a therapist to continue treatment. They have more specific training to know how and why things work than a therapist. They usually do an assessment with you in session or two as well has having you fill out lengthy questionnaires.

cure

I'm gonna see a psychiatrist tomorrow.. I'm exited but nervous at the same time. What kind of questions/tests should I expect? Any idea what medication he might prescribe me? I have already tried Celexa, Paxil, Paxil + BuSpar and they didn't work. Only thing that ever worked for me was Effexor XR but only for 2 months and the Inderal LA I'm taking right now.

DillJenkins

I'm gonna see a psychiatrist tomorrow.. I'm exited but nervous at the same time. What kind of questions/tests should I expect? Any idea what medication he might prescribe me? I have already tried Celexa, Paxil, Paxil + BuSpar and they didn't work. Only thing that ever worked for me was Effexor XR but only for 2 months and the Inderal LA I'm taking right now.

You could expect more SSRI's or possibly a benzo. Benzo's are stuff like Klonopin and Xanax. There are most effective for immediate short term treatment and are very addictive and cause tolerance.

I personally take Xanax because I was housebound for a long time before I took it. It sucks that its so addictive but it really is worth it for me. This is coming from someone who has been through 4mg Klonopin withdrawal.

...There seems to be some confusion here regarding psychiatrist/psychologist. Psychiatrists are the ones who prescribe medicine to treat mental illness. Psychologist, therapist, counselor all provide "talk therapy", CBT, exposure therapy, etc...

CBT and exposure therapy has been found to be most effective longest lasting treatment for SA but it doesnt work for everyone. Meds are generally meant to help only in the short term. Sometimes people will find a med like an SSRI and be on it for years however. Usually people who dont respond to CBT or Exposure therapy are put on meds long term. I have found a combo of meds and therapy to be the most effective treatment.

Last edited:

cure

You could expect more SSRI's or possibly a benzo. Benzo's are stuff like Klonopin and Xanax. There are most effective for immediate short term treatment and are very addictive and cause tolerance.

I personally take Xanax because I was housebound for a long time before I took it. It sucks that its so addictive but it really is worth it for me. This is coming from someone who has been through 4mg Klonopin withdrawal.

...There seems to be some confusion here regarding psychiatrist/psychologist. Psychiatrists are the ones who prescribe medicine to treat mental illness. Psychologist, therapist, counselor all provide "talk therapy", CBT, exposure therapy, etc...

CBT and exposure therapy has been found to be most effective longest lasting treatment for SA but it doesnt work for everyone. Meds are generally meant to help only in the short term. Sometimes people will find a med like an SSRI and be on it for years however. Usually people who dont respond to CBT or Exposure therapy are put on meds long term. I have found a combo of meds and therapy to be the most effective treatment.

Thanks for your answer. Which benzo did you like more, Xanax or Klonopin?

mrb

well you could try Hipnotherapy , the woman i saw said she has helped lots of people overcome there sa .... i didnt find it helped but i only went once .... what ever you decide good luck .........