Feeling scared of accepting favors

staticreflex

I just moved to a new area for school and a friend told me I could park my car at his parents place for 9 months until I come back. The problem is that I feel very anxious about this offer, what if he is not serious? what if his parents change thier mind and then get mad at him for offering it? what if he's just being polite and I'm supposed to turn this down as part of normal social etiquette? I think I'm probably just being overly analytical and anxious but does anyone else have a problem letting other people do nice things for them?

I just moved to a new area for school and a friend told me I could park my car at his parents place for 9 months until I come back. The problem is that I feel very anxious about this offer, what if he is not serious? what if his parents change thier mind and then get mad at him for offering it? what if he's just being polite and I'm supposed to turn this down as part of normal social etiquette? I think I'm probably just being overly analytical and anxious but does anyone else have a problem letting other people do nice things for them?

Yes, feel same way. Others may have answers. Let us see.

hoddesdon

Perhaps you could ask him whether his parents are OK with it, or ask them directly. That is always a good idea. As for being unsure whether you are supposed to decline, perhaps you could ask your parents or peers (or anyone who would know, really) what the social etiquette is.

If neither of those really is an issue, then perhaps the truth is you find it hard to accept that someone is favourably disposed towards you; you are assuming that everyone dislikes you (I read that in an article by a psychiatrist recently). By declining you would lose the chance to challenge that assumption. If it were successfully challenged, that would be helpful for you.