Feeling lost and lacking motivation

Adammm

Hey all,

I am not really a regular poster on here, but have been going through quite a bad few months with my anxiety and depression, and so thought that having a bit of a vent will help me to feel better (hopefully!). I normally just keep things like this to myself, so it will be nice to share how I feel/my situation with others.

Anyway, as a background I have suffered with social anxiety and depression for most of my life, and also had selective mutism when I was younger. I am now 23, and for much of the past 5 years I’ve had quite a lot of success in fighting my anxiety. I’ve managed to do things like going to university, making friends, working, living away from home, etc… I always thought that I was getting better, but in the last few months things have turned really bad.

Last year I decided to go travelling, as it was always something I wanted to do, and I thought it would be a great way to meet new people and to challenge my anxiety. I ended up going to Australia, where I spent 9 and a half months travelling around and working (I'm originally from the UK). Everything went pretty well for the first few months – I met a good group of people who I ended up travelling with for a few months. I was shy around them, but over time I was becoming more comfortable and talkative in their presence. Had some of the best times of my life travelling with them for sure!

After a few months of travelling I started to run out of money, and so decided to settle in Melbourne to work for a few months while I saved more money to carry on travelling. Things didn’t go to plan though – it took me much longer than I thought to find a job, and I ended up running out of money (had to borrow some off my parents to survive… was down to my last $20 at one point!). I eventually found a job, which I stuck out for a few months despite the fact it was the most mind numbingly boring job ever (very repetitive data entry work). During this time most of the people I had met travelling left Melbourne, and I was eventually all by myself there, staying at a hostel. As time went on I started to find it harder and harder to meet new people, despite the fact I was sharing a dorm room with other travellers. I started to completely avoid talking to people in my room and didn’t really talk to anyone at work unless they spoke to me first. I think I lost a lot of my confidence in speaking to new people. Things carried on getting worse, and so for the last couple of months I was in Australia I literally hardly spoke to anybody. I spent most of the time I wasn’t working either sleeping, wandering around the city alone, or listening to music and watching films/TV series on my laptop. I started to feel very depressed and lonely around this time, but I still tried to carry on working and saving money so I could carry on travelling (as I was supposed to have been staying in Australia for a whole year).

Anyway, things eventually became incredibly bad. I became depressed to a level I’ve never felt before. I couldn’t think straight, kept feeling like I was on the verge of breaking down in public, and started having suicidal thoughts. Looking back on it I think I was going through a mental breakdown. Once I got like this I decided that was enough, that I wasn’t cut out for travelling (at least for such a long period of time), and decided to cancel my original flight home and book a new one for the following weekend.

So I left Australia a few weeks ago, and have been back at home for almost a month now. I thought that coming home would help me, and it has to an extent (I’m not as depressed now as I was before I left Australia), but I just feel completely lost, avoidant, lonely and lacking in motivation at the moment. For most of the time I’ve been back at home I’ve just been sat in my room, alone, sleeping in late, surfing the internet for almost the entire day, listening to music, watching films, and drinking too much caffeine and alcohol… I’ve barely spent any time with family (even though I live with them), and have hardly told them anything about my travels in Australia (the good bits, at least). I’m becoming more and more distant from friends I made at uni (have only seen friends twice since I’ve been home), and am scared of initiating any conversations over facebook or via text. I’ve been trying to look for a job in the last few weeks, but I can barely get the motivation to even search on job websites. In 2 weeks I’ve only applied for 3 jobs, none of which I have had any luck with (haven’t even heard back from one of them).

Basically, I just don’t seem to have the energy to change my life. I want to be able to get a good job that I actually enjoy, move out again, get a social life back again, find a girlfriend, etc… but it all just seems like too much effort for me. I think I may also suffer from AvPD, which is another factor in how I feel at the moment.

I also feel like such a bad friend at the moment – two of my friends got married yesterday, but I ended up missing the wedding. Because I was in Australia until recently, I wasn’t invited to the wedding when they sent invites out. However, when I came home I was invited to my friends stag do, which I went to the weekend after I arrived home. The following weekend my other friend invited me to her house party for her birthday. I think it was implied that I was also invited to the wedding reception, but I wasn’t directly invited by either of them. I felt like it would have been rude to ask them if I could come to the wedding, so I ended up just not going. So I feel very guilty about that today.

Anyway, I apologise for the long, muddled, boring post! If you made it this far, thanks for reading! :D I’m hoping I’m just going through a bad phase at the moment and things will pick up soon.

Related Article: No motivation to do anything

gustavofring

Hey man, I recognize a lot of myself in your story. It feels like a quarterlife crisis of sorts.

Take things one at a time.

One thing I find troubling is wanting too much at once. We must truly have patience and just accept where we are now in order to get further. I sometimes think of all these things wrong in my life (not graduated yet after 2 years, no job, financial troubles, depression) that I panic, and think I will someday just snap out of it and magically find the motivation and energy to do what I'm required to do. But that's not how it goes. How this ends up usually is endless hours of procrastinating, putting things off forever, worrying, etc. turning to escapism (internet,movies,etc) and caffeine.

The truth is that we need some planning , some routine day by day in order to get where we want to go. Some fun and not taking things so seriously might help as well. Loosening up. Also, turn off that internet or the computer sometime and focus on doing that one thing you can do now. Motivation comes and goes, it's not a lasting thing. But patience will help us get there.

Last edited:
Hey man, I recognize a lot of myself in your story. It feels like a quarterlife crisis of sorts.

Take things one at a time.

One thing I find troubling is wanting too much at once. We must truly have patience and just accept where we are now in order to get further. I sometimes think of all these things wrong in my life (not graduated yet after 2 years, no job, financial troubles, depression) that I panic, and think I will someday just snap out of it and magically find the motivation and energy to do what I'm required to do. But that's not how it goes. How this ends up usually is endless hours of procrastinating, putting things off forever, worrying, etc. turning to escapism (internet,movies,etc) and caffeine.

The truth is that we need some planning , some routine day by day in order to get where we want to go. Some fun and not taking things so seriously might help as well. Loosening up. Also, turn off that internet or the computer sometime and focus on doing that one thing you can do now. Motivation comes and goes, it's not a lasting thing. But patience will help us get there.

Sounds like me.

Not that that is going to help the OP.

I'll be leaving now.

Nonny

Oops! I've suffered from social anxiety & depression since going thru a traumatic experience years ago. I managed to overcome it (somewhat) for years but a year ago, I sunk into the most crushing depression in my life, made only worse by family members acting like it was only a matter of will power to pull myself out of it. They have really had no sympathy for what I was going thru, much less any kind of support.
It all finally overwhelmed me & resulted in a serious suicide attempt (I didn't regain consciousness for several days & remained hospitalized for nearly 2 weeks). After that, I started looking for options on the internet as I had already done everything I was supposed to do via conventional means (ie; psych. therapy, etc), to no avail....clearly. That's when I 1st started hearing about Phenibut.
I was leery of it at 1st, being a Russian pharmaceutical for one thing & a so-called "dietary supplement" here in the US for another. But my condition had become so bad that getting out of bed was a major accomplishment & distracting myself w/ internet/TV was really all I could do the rest of the day. So, finally, caution gave way to desperation & I had some Phenibut overnighted to me.
Not trying to sound melodramatic but I don't think it's an exaggeration to say that it probably saved my life. I had run out of options. I would never suggest it to anyone w/o doing ur own research & a bit of soul searching. It's definitely NOT something that should be used irresponsibly & those who do may cause it to be banned. But until that happens at least I have found the one thing that makes my life tolerable, dare I even say ENJOYABLE!