Feeling angry

staticreflex

I just started a new semester at my school and at orientation I was so shy I could barely talk to anyone I knew except my roommate. I get so self-lothing when I see everyone else around me having fun and I am forced into silence by my own inadequacy. I really do try sometimes but it seems that I take two steps forward and four back wards. Its even worse with women, I just clam up and start rehersing what to say in my head and it ends up sounding forced and canned. I hate everything.

girl707

Yeah I know... I'm excited to start school, but I'm afraid that when I meet these new people, I'll probably end up as "the quiet one". I try not to think of this social anxiety as a fault though; i can't just suddenly turn into an extrovert overnight...
Think more positively about what you can do to open up more in social settings.... I usually don't know what to say-hence I get uncomfortably silent- so I'm trying to think up of "material" I could use to enter a conversation: humorous jokes, sayings, anecdotes drawn from my heritage or family, sports,etc.... Yeah I might mess up and sound stupid, but as long as I keep on trying to say something, I can hopefully feel more confident.

EscapeArtist

I just started a new semester at my school and at orientation I was so shy I could barely talk to anyone I knew except my roommate. I get so self-lothing when I see everyone else around me having fun and I am forced into silence by my own inadequacy. I really do try sometimes but it seems that I take two steps forward and four back wards. Its even worse with women, I just clam up and start rehersing what to say in my head and it ends up sounding forced and canned. I hate everything.

I know i know i know :[ i share your pain. Having to just sit there, even when you have something you want to say, but sitting there anyways because it's just 'what you do' and it's too scary for seemingly no reason. Keep taking those two steps forward, I guarantee you're not taking 4 steps back, every step forward is a step in the right direction.