Feel better after working at job?

sevenroses

Do you guys tend to feel a bit better after working at your job. I don't really like my job like too too much but I guess it keeps your mind occupied. Like if it's the weekend and I don't do anything my mind is in idle mode, I tend to be depressed because I focus on how much friends I don't have in life and how isolated and lonely I really am. I guess after a good days of work I feel somewhat okay :)

EasySkankin

Yeah it keeps you occupied. That's really a good thing... even if you do hate your job. If you have too much time to think about things, you'll be more depressed. Jobs are a part of life... and something that you also choose how you want to live it. If you don't like your career situation, change it :)

dottie

no, working makes me feel miserable, a nervous wreck. the only benefit is that if i work i am deemed slightly more socially worthy at the end of the day. i can't hold a job so i am still not socially worthy. i am considered a degenerate who does not count.

if i was rich and therefore not expected to work i would be a very happy person. the happiness would not be based on materialism but solely because i would be free of this dreadful, looming expectation that i should spend my days doing something that makes me absolutely miserable.

Social-E-Aukward

I find a good or bad boss can make a lot of difference to whether or not you finish the working day in a good mood.
In my past experiences you can feel as if you have accomplished something at the end of a day, but unfortunately the bad behaviour of your boss can take that good feeling away :/

I agree with you very strongly. My last 2 jobs always felt very unstable, but my current job and the one before those two I've been blessed to have a boss who actually treats me well. I just have to work hard and keep him updated.

Retail environments have always been a bit of a nightmare at time for me. Not only are they crowded, and I have to interact with people I don't know... but I also had to keep on good terms with my co-workers. I'd rather work with customers than coworkers because customers are easy to win over with the help they need, but coworkers want to be friends and if it doesn't work out they sometimes turn into enemies. Customers don't pull pranks...

Customers almost always liked me because I would always put them first, and that sometimes meant putting a coworker on the back burner for the sake of customer service. I felt like a lot of people took it way too personally when it wasn't personal at all. I was just doing the best job I could but I ended up getting fired because an assistant manager had a thing against me.

I'd helped a customer and apologized for my assistant manager's behavior. She had been extremely rude to that old woman, and all I'd said was that I was sorry and wanted her to know that not all the employees were like that. (The customer had already had some pretty bad experiences and was shocked that I was actually trying to help because, in her opinion, no one else had)

The customer went to the store manager and praised me, but bashed my assistant manager. My assistant manager seemed to have a grudge with with for the next 3 months. I had nearly no hours at all. One week I made a mistake on my time sheet, so she bypassed the store manager and sent a report to the district office saying that I was stealing time.

They ended up firing me, which was ridiculous especially considering my department had been falling apart without me. (I was the only one with access to a restricted part of the computer system, so NO ONE ELSE could do my job in my absence)

A lot of other employees said they thought it was wrong that I got fired, but no one stood up for me, not even my manager. I could have disputed it further, but I didn't bother because I was so sick of the drama and the lack of hours.

NOW I have a job that I really enjoy, it's mostly working on my own and my manager says my previous employers were complete morons to get rid of me. He's also paying me $11/hour now, which beats the $9.25 I made before. Plus, he's giving me a regular 30 hours a week and offering new responsibilities and opportunities frequently.

I really enjoy my job, it takes my mind off of the bad things by giving me complex problems and a deadline to solve them by. It's challenging and rewarding, but most of the jobs I've had weren't this enjoyable.

Social-E-Aukward

no, working makes me feel miserable, a nervous wreck. the only benefit is that if i work i am deemed slightly more socially worthy at the end of the day. i can't hold a job so i am still not socially worthy. i am considered a degenerate who does not count.

if i was rich and therefore not expected to work i would be a very happy person. the happiness would not be based on materialism but solely because i would be free of this dreadful, looming expectation that i should spend my days doing something that makes me absolutely miserable.

@ dottie:

It's possible you may not have found the right kind of job for yourself yet. I've had several different kinds of jobs over the last few years and I dreaded most of them. A couple of them I didn't work for even a week before I quit because I couldn't handle the stress. Like I slightly mentioned in my previous post, I loved helping elderly customers in retail environments, but I dreaded working with customers my own age. Elderly people were very accepting and just wanted me to listen to them and answer their questions. Younger people seemed to get mad easier, trusted me less just because I was a "salesman". I didn't make commission on anything, I was just there to help them get what they wanted/needed.

I'm working as a web developer, software programmer and IT technician for a management consulting firm now and I love my job. My boss is a really cool guy from India and we surprisingly have a lot in common in beliefs about people and the world. He's a lot more positive than me though, which is nice because he encourages me to not get so down.

The work is the kind of thing I do in my free time. I love computer programming and at work I'm practically getting paid to study at times. There are deadlines and a lot of pressure sometimes, and I have to work with other people on occasion, but overall I enjoy it more than any other job I've had.

Maybe if you find something you REALLY enjoy doing for a job, and get lucky with a friendly group of employees, work might not be such a dreadful thing. I've found that I get along better with people who like things I like as well.

EasySkankin

Very nice Socail, thanks for sharing that. It really inspires me to go out and find a different job... even better, I think I should go back to school and do something in Graphic Design, which I always wanted to do. Thx :)

zlench

I defintly feel better after working keeps my mind off other things in life and does offer me light at the end of the day that everything doesn't suck in my life.

Rembrandt Broam

Yes and no.

While I'm at work, I spend most of the time resenting being there, and thinking about all the things I'd rather be doing.

But...

Having been unemployed, I know that if I didn't have a job, after a while I would begin to feel isolated, and my feeling of self worth would deteriorate.

I suppose what I really need is a job that I find more rewarding and worthwhile.

Richey

i've really only ever had low income "forgettable" forms of employment which has come about because to put it simply they were the first jobs to reply to my applications and so the initial thought in my mind is "well its better then nothing for now and i need the money" so i'll go with it but often these jobs become more long-term then i'd like them to be, i say to myself "3 months is enough but i need a new job with a better future when the 3 months are up" and i'll end up staying longer like as in a couple of years and it is a waste of time in terms of progression in a career but all i can do is keep applying for new jobs etc and to have the belief that i can make it happen is what keeps me going ...

In the condition I am right now? No it makes it worse. Instead of working, you can go out and see things, meet people etc to take your mind off things.

dottie

@ dottie:

It's possible you may not have found the right kind of job for yourself yet. I've had several different kinds of jobs over the last few years and I dreaded most of them. A couple of them I didn't work for even a week before I quit because I couldn't handle the stress. Like I slightly mentioned in my previous post, I loved helping elderly customers in retail environments, but I dreaded working with customers my own age. Elderly people were very accepting and just wanted me to listen to them and answer their questions. Younger people seemed to get mad easier, trusted me less just because I was a "salesman". I didn't make commission on anything, I was just there to help them get what they wanted/needed.

I'm working as a web developer, software programmer and IT technician for a management consulting firm now and I love my job. My boss is a really cool guy from India and we surprisingly have a lot in common in beliefs about people and the world. He's a lot more positive than me though, which is nice because he encourages me to not get so down.

The work is the kind of thing I do in my free time. I love computer programming and at work I'm practically getting paid to study at times. There are deadlines and a lot of pressure sometimes, and I have to work with other people on occasion, but overall I enjoy it more than any other job I've had.

Maybe if you find something you REALLY enjoy doing for a job, and get lucky with a friendly group of employees, work might not be such a dreadful thing. I've found that I get along better with people who like things I like as well.

thanks for your words of encouragement. you are right. i've given up hope in finding a more tolerable work scenario. when i think about it, there were a couple of jobs i semi-liked and i got along well with my coworkers. at the end of the day i did feel accomplished. basically i've had a long streak of crap jobs so maybe it is time that the streak be broken.

goldatom

Do you guys tend to feel a bit better after working at your job. I don't really like my job like too too much but I guess it keeps your mind occupied. Like if it's the weekend and I don't do anything my mind is in idle mode, I tend to be depressed because I focus on how much friends I don't have in life and how isolated and lonely I really am. I guess after a good days of work I feel somewhat okay :)

I dream of feeling like this. It would be perfect. If you don't mind, can I ask what kind of work do you do?