Fear of Death

UniqueMoyo

I was wondering if people who suffer from panic attacks also have a fear of dieing?
Ive always feared death, and was always in the ER because i thought i had some kind illness.
I started getting my panic attacks a little over a year ago
and i get them like every day
but im curious to find out if any of you
suffer from the extreme fear of death
maybe its tied to panic attacks?

madmike

The prospect of dying doesn't scare me in the least and i have quite severe social anxiety

UniqueMoyo

well i meant more so with panic attacks not really social anxiety
because theres a difference there, but thanks for the feedback :)

WollyWoo

Yes definitely I have always been terrified of death, to the point of being a complete hypochondriac for quite a long time, if I had a spot I would think, oh my god it must be skin cancer, oh no I'm dying etc etc all the time.

And when I was having regular extremely bad panic attacks, over the first year that they got really bad I used to go the emergency department at the hospital too, sometimes 2 or 3 times a week! They would always do an ECG test on my heart and come back saying there's nothing wrong but I never ever believed it just kept going back, convinced if I didn't that one day I would die and then I'd be one of those people in the papers where they say 'she kept telling them there was something wrong with her and they wouldn't listen and it turns out she was right but now it's too late cos she's DEAD!'

I can mostly cope with my panic attacks now but I still fear death very much, I'm just in the process of trying to learn not to obsess over the inevitable though, I really don't wanna spend my whole life worrying about dying then end up living to 100 years old and realising I wasted a hundred years just waiting to die instead of enjoying each day as it comes! Easier said than done though of course :)

Ashiene

the prospect of death is very romantic to me.

what great mysteries lie beyond?

is the afterlife a heavenly paradise where we merge in union with mother Nature, or a cold hellish landscape as depicted in major religions?

or is there simply nothingness at all?

this great mystery makes me want to K1LL myself right now to find out.

UniqueMoyo

Dear Wolly woo

Dear Wolly woo,

Tell me about it, Im a huge hypocondriact
If the something hurts its gotta be something major enough to kill me
I dont have health insurance so I cant run to the ER
and im kinda glad I dont because i would go to often
but on the other hand it messes with my head
cause ill tell my mom somethings wrong and shell tell me
its nothing
and then right away in my head
im thinking she doesnt care what if i die and she didnt do anything
I dont want to be consumed by the thought of dieing
but its like i cant help it
thanks for the reply =]

UniqueMoyo

Dear nephatitus,

nephatitus said:
yes every single person is scared of death

its written into every single cell of your body

Some people arent, they know its going to happen so why fight it
I envy people like that
who are okay with it
but I do also believe that deep down inside there is a part of them
that makes them say well its gonna happen so i shouldnt worry
just so that it doesnt drive them insane like it does with me

UniqueMoyo

Ashiene said:
the prospect of death is very romantic to me.

what great mysteries lie beyond?

is the afterlife a heavenly paradise where we merge in union with mother Nature, or a cold hellish landscape as depicted in major religions?

or is there simply nothingness at all?

this great mystery makes me want to K1LL myself right now to find out.

Dear Ashiene,
The thought of nothing, nothing at all
you cant feel, cant touch, taste, see, smell
you cant love, cry, kiss, breathe, walk
and be with the ones i love
is what scares me
what if there is nothing
I dont want to find out any time soon
and you should avoid thinking about killing urself to get there
because it will happen when it happens.
Enjoy the time you have now
ull get to whatever it is or isnt when its ur time
thanks for the reply

WollyWoo said:
I really don't wanna spend my whole life worrying about dying then end up living to 100 years old and realising I wasted a hundred years just waiting to die instead of enjoying each day as it comes! Easier said than done though of course :)

haha woolywoo, that made me laugh :)

anywho, i myself am also terrified of death. i feel like i've become a hypochondriac. i always think there is something wrong with me. if i have heartburn or a sore muscle i immediately think "uhh crap heart attack" or if i get a headache it's "ohnoes i got a brain tumor or im havin a stroke"

all started about 6 years ago. ther ewas a period when it went away for a while but eventually i came back to the same old crap. anyways, you're not alone and it's not fun i know it

thor01

Yes i am, Some people say however there is no death to fear as your spirit goes into another dimension. That sometimes helps me be less scared, however the fear for me is you cant know that for sure till you die.

shorty121

UniqueMoyo said:
I was wondering if people who suffer from panic attacks also have a fear of dieing?
Ive always feared death, and was always in the ER because i thought i had some kind illness.
I started getting my panic attacks a little over a year ago
and i get them like every day
but im curious to find out if any of you
suffer from the extreme fear of death
maybe its tied to panic attacks?
It has to be the panic attacks because I am scared of death and the panic attacks make it way worse. What do you do about it when you have it?

ljwwriter

Sometimes I do have some random fears of death. I've probably watched too many medical shows about people falling instantly ill and dying. Sometimes I'll have strange chest pains (at least that's what I'll think they are) and I'll worry I'm going to go into some sort cardiac arrest. I don't ever become so worked up over it that I request to be taken to the ER, though. After a couple of minutes I usually calm myself down by thinking how death is unavoidable anyway, and because I don't really believe in an afterlife there's literally nothing to fear. A fear of nothingness is not a legitimate fear no matter how you consider it.

nephatitus

beleive me

in this type of society we are in with no threats to our own personal lives it is common beleif that nothing will ever happen to us. Why? because we are so comfortable with everything almost like a baby in a mother's womb. but we are not. to not be afraid of death is like saying im not scared of a ferocious lion in a cage at the zoo with that sense of security, but when you are face to face with the lion inside of the cage then that is another story. People who are generally not afraid of death are those who have an escape of reality but reality always rushes back. To actually admit to one's self that he/she is going to die is a gigantic leap, (no even more). Not everyone is going to be blessed with a painless death, just like painlessly living(its almost like karma). to be scared of death is normal, to be not is foolish

Doomed2Die

nephatitus said:
beleive me

in this type of society we are in with no threats to our own personal lives it is common beleif that nothing will ever happen to us. Why? because we are so comfortable with everything almost like a baby in a mother's womb. but we are not. to not be afraid of death is like saying im not scared of a ferocious lion in a cage at the zoo with that sense of security, but when you are face to face with the lion inside of the cage then that is another story. People who are generally not afraid of death are those who have an escape of reality but reality always rushes back. To actually admit to one's self that he/she is going to die is a gigantic leap, (no even more). Not everyone is going to be blessed with a painless death, just like painlessly living(its almost like karma). to be scared of death is normal, to be not is foolish

Well said. You could also liken it to someone signing up for war, nobody expects they themselves to die, not truly, otherwise they will not do it. (unless they are suicidal of course)

Regardless, we are all dying anyway (age).

I myself fear death naturally, but I have no fear of the otherside as such which is a blessing in itself, biblicy speaking.