Favourite pastimes

Niteowl

pas·time/ˈpasˌtīm/
Noun: An activity that someone does regularly for enjoyment rather than work; a hobby.

Well, what are they? :p Share a bit about them, like why you enjoy them, what they involve, who you do them with, et cetera et cetera.

heroa.png

"Batman? Who the heck is Batman?"

Personally, one of my biggest (and arguably most pointless) hobbies is making up characters!! That is, characters for stories, comic books, movies, whatever. I have made up, let's see ... 48 off the top of my head in the past 6 months. I have spent more time on some than others, like the little superhero (better term would be anti-hero) team made of a male, an older female, and two dogs. I've got biographies, costume illustrations, backstories, a comic book series plot, everything for them. Other characters I haven't spent so much time on yet, but I definitely plan to. I just do it when I have nothing else to do, unless I'm drawing them or making notes it doesn't require any materials. Until I physically MAKE some costumes, which I'll never rule out doing. Having written this I'm slightly embarrassed about it, but heh, I'll bet loads of people have at least one peculiar hobby, right? Right? :p

I also got one comic character PUBLISHED ... in the COLLEGE NEWSLETTER!!

kirk.png

"Could you lend me a jar of love?"

I like drawing, and putting images together on the computer, many things to do with pictures (though not taking photographs). The image above I created as LP cover art for Kirk Van Houten's "Can I Borrow A Feeling" from The Simpsons during a passing obsession with how ... pathetic it is. :p One thing's for sure, if I listened to that track right now, I'd have to listen to it another ten times.

harryi.png

"A dog ATE it?" thought Harry. "What was I thinking? I'm toast on Friday."

I also enjoy writing, not that I'm great at it, but it's a fun way to spend free time. Despite the cast of characters I mentioned earlier, I usually write from real books or from real life, reserving my characters for comics! Reading them back feels great when they're about real life, too, because I can sort of live out my fantasies through them!!

Well those are some of my favourite things! I also enjoy playing a little chess, playing OLD video games like MediEvil, reading, making collages, and watching all different kind of films, especially superhero or science fiction films. Painting, I can really enjoy, but that's something that requires a bit more time, and frankly, I'm awful at it.

Now, it's your turn. :p What activities do you do in any free time you get? Maybe include some pictures/examples if you have any, as I have done.

I seem to have one main pastime going that will last for a few months or so and then change, so:

currently I take panorama photos with my phone and upload the better ones to a tumblr site; the panorama setting will often pleasantly distort the shot

previously:

various games; COD2 online to most recent
metal detecting for old coins and things, and new coins, too. most was $60 in a day. best site was an area used for an annual carnival that yielded $1000+ over many months
umm, cant think of any more at the mo