Favorite movies? And why?

Mary

I forgot to mention : It's a wonderful life, w/Jimmy Stewart, I think.
Best christmas movie ever! :cry: :D

Quixote

Horatio said:
argh I could go on forever, listing every film Ive ever watched that is even remotely historical *sighs*

You should see "Barry Lindon", if you haven't yet, by Stanley Kubrick

Or any japanese movies by Kurosawa, I can't remember all the titles right now, especially in english

I love historical movies as well, and I agree with you, those old sailing vessels and ships of the line were so elegant and poetic :)
By the way, I suggest the old black and white version of "Moby Dick", it was shot in the fifties I think, but still has some of the best classic scenes of sailing ship+stormy ocean :)

I haven't seen most of the movies people mentioned here. Anyway, one of my favourites among those that came recently on screen is "Everything Is Illuminated" by a director named Liev Schreiber. Has anyone seen it?

An old american one that I like a lot is "The Blues Brothers" by john landis 8)

Oh, and I also like Italian neorealism and some french comedies... This post is getting too long, I'll stop it here.

Mary

"The robe" its an old old movie but very good. And my recent one I just saw, "Last Holiday!" It is so good.

dzerklis

one of my favourite movies is Gattaca, the reason i mention it here is because its about the power of will lol seriously i recommend watching it, its quite impressive.

Septor

A good movie is The Others.I would not really call it a horror movie.There's no volence in it or anything of that nature but it deals with ghosts in a unique way.

GIOLANDA

1 Titanic(It's just perfect,I cry every time I see it)
2 Cassandra's pass(a tragedy,but very good)
3 Silent fall(a great psychological mystery)
4 The watcher(successful mystery)
5 Analyze this( a funny version of psychanalysis)
6 My big,fat.greek wedding(it describes Greek people perfectly,it's very funny).

And some others that I don't know their English titles!

Elessaar

I watch 2-3 movies a day. I like horror,comedies & psycho-movies. I really caught myself wondering about the meaning of life while watching the Donnie Darko movie. This one is my favourite...a movie about giving your life to save all the things you love in this world. Watch it if you still haven't so.

brownbag

ooo. movies.

just saw The Exorcism Of Emily Rose, i tot that was really good.

The Pianist was fantastic.

Dude Where's My Car? - Haha.. real wacky corny show. not to be missed.

Toad

Good movies eh?

- After the Sunset --> A pretty funny action movie
- Blade (first two) --> Probably my favorite action movies...a dude with a sword who goes around killing vampires...how can you go wrong with that (other than putting Ryan Reynolds in it (it's not supposed to be a comedy dammit) and placing blatent Apple advertisements througout as they did in the third one)
- Collateral --> Movie about a contract killer...sounds good to me
- Equilibrium --> 1984 movie form anyone? Also has a lot of good action in it
- The Last Samurai --> More awesome fighting
- Lethal Weapon (all of them) --> Great action movies
- Paycheck --> Good action movie with some mystery in it
- Se7en --> Good mystery movie (although a little grotesque) that gets you thinking
- Serenity --> Awesome movie
- The Transporter --> Probably my second favorite action movie
- A Night at the Roxbury --> Funny movie
- Van Wilder --> Another funny movie
- Zoolander --> A movie about the male modeling industry...how can it not be funny?

Mary

I just saw,"The five people you meet in heaven" its very good and makes you think..I recommend people watch it or at least read the book! :)

Meow

Oh goshhh I LOVE LOVE movies, I watch soo many movies there's too many to list here!

Almost every Leo Dicaprio movie, mainly Titanic... just loved it and it made me feel good during a rough time in my life. I collected all the stuff lol.

Lots of Tom Hanks films including The green mile, road to perdition, but also the funny ones like Big and Splash! love the feel good movies. DaVinci code was pretty damn good. Catch me if you can with Leo Dicaprio was fab :p

I like lots of old cheesy 80's films, don't know why but I do. Maybe it's the fun hair and just easy going feeling.

I like a lot of horror films, new and old for the thrill of it even tho I get scared piss easy!! Also love mysteries and thrillers!

Gladiator was amazing and heart breaking, Braveheart and other powerful movies like that.

Brokeback mountain just amazed me! I just saw Capote too and was very impressed.

Funny films like Napolean Dynamite and Bad Santa, oh god they CRACK me up just when I need it!!! like lots of comedies but not the silly ones really that much, altho White chicks was hilarious. Also loved Bridget Jones!

Love lots of scarlett Johannson films, especially Lost in Translation!!! the feeling of that movie was wonderful and touching, didn't need much speaking they acted it so well it just said it all.

Also like movies set in old England like Pride and Prejudice (with colin firth) Emma, Sense and Sensibility etc.

Love lots of Disney films!

Tim Burton films like Corpse Bride, Edward Scissor hands, Nightmare before Xmas, beetle Juice.

Lastly old films with actresses like Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe, like Some like it hot, Gentleman prefer blondes, My fair lady, Niagra etc.

Ohhh yes christmas movies, my fav time of year :) Especially Muppets xmas carol and Miracle on 34th street (the newer one)

Ok so I like a lot of movies!!

LittleMissScareAll

Texas ChainSaw Massacre (the original one made in the 70's)... not sure why... it just is my favorite horror movie. I guess it helps that I kind of know "Leatherface" himself personally.

Freddy Got Fingered...because it's the funniest movie ever made, in my opinion, and no matter how many times I watch it, I never get tired of it and it always makes me laugh. I love Tom Green.

May...because she reminds me so much of myself.

The Lost Boys...because I like vampires? I dunno why this is one of my favorites either, I just like it alot.

The Nutty Professor...another one that always makes me laugh. Especially the family dinner scenes.

etc...

young

Re: ooo. movies.

brownbag said:

Exorcism of Emily Rose, freaked me out for days.

And Dude where's my Car, is just a classic movie. It's soo bad that it's funny.

LA-girl

young said:

Really, I thought it was about a trial? And not scary at all...ooh...maybe I shouldn't see it after all... 8O

brownbag

young said:
brownbag said:

And Dude where's my Car, is just a classic movie. It's soo bad that it's funny.

Why'd it freak you out? because of her sudden movements?