Favorite movies? And why?

Mary

Some of mine are: Pay it forward, Titanic (of course!) Cast Away, Beaches
Forrest Gump, and The Cross and the switchblade.
Pay it forward because it moves me to tears and I think the idea expressed in the movie is a good one and should actually be done or attempted to do in real life.
Cast away because I really know what Tom Hanks means when he says you have to just keep getting up and living ea. day and then one day, life brings you something unexpected. An opportunity or a chance for things to get better. Also The whole friendship w/the ball! You have to see it to know what I mean!
Titanic because it really is titanic! No specific reason except it is moving and very entertaining.
Beaches because I have a friend like that and it is a good "girl-friends movie".
Forrest Gump because there are just too many gems on there to list! It is touching and funny.
The Cross & the Switchblade because it is based on a remarkable true story about an ex-gang member who changed his whole life around. It is very inspirational and I like things like that.
O.k. that's some of my movies and my reasons for liking them. How about you guys? Have you seen any of the ones I mention and what are your favorites? And why?

cherish

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure because it is has the deepest message ever presented in a movie and the best special effects in the world.

Scottish_Player

Stand By Me

I remeber seeing it when i was young and it kinda reminds me of being young and the mates i had a the time, and when life was good, happy and care free, so its more to do with the time i saw the film rather than the film its self but it is still a good film :D

lily

Terminator 1 and 2, Child's play 1, Back to the future 1, 2 and 3, Emperor's New groove, Pinocchio, Lady and the tramp, Cinderella, Sleeping beauty, The little Mermaid What else? liar liar, gremlins1 and 2- all funny and/or interesting.

Last edited:

Septor

My favorite movie are Shawshank redemption and Saw 2.

Shawshank redemption had one of the most moving ending I have ever seen.The movie is about hope and freedom told through elegance story of friendship.

As for Saw 2 you got to love the completely pointless violence and the twist at the end lol. :lol:

cLavain

Yeah, Saw 2 was great!

Others I remember right now:

Ju-on - The Grudge: Really spooky Japanese horror!
Aliens: Scared the shit out of me when I was a kid, but the best sci-fi action ever.
Sue: Depressing movie, but I like it... Movies about happy people are so boring. :lol:
Life of Brian: Funniest. Movie. Ever.
A Tale of Two Sisters: Brilliant and unsettling psychological horror from Korea.

Septor

I like Old yeller.It's the quintessential boy and dog movie.I cried when I saw that movie in second grade.Poor Yeller. :(

LA-girl

Shawshank Redemption is one of my favourite movies! I remember watching it for the first time several years ago, when I had a depression due to my SA. I don't exactly remember what it was, but it really helped me back then.
The Green Mile also helped me when I felt down.

I am also weak for movies in the Thriller/Suspense category! One of my favourites is
Twin Peaks(series). I remember it scared me almost to death when I watched it, especially Bob and the body of Laura, not to mention her mother! 8O I liked agent Dale Cooper though and his affection for black coffee :lol: , I think I actually had a crush on him back then... :oops: And the crying police-man Andy (LOL!)
Every single character were so well-portrayed and unique in its own special, weird way! Have any of you watched it??

One movie in this category I saw just recently which I didn't like was
Wolf Creek. It was well-acted and directed, but it was too horrifying in my opinion. I actually had to turn it off because I was too scared, and I had to watch the rest in bright day-light the following day! :wink:

Movies like Saw, especially Saw 2 I didn't find scary at all. It was too exagerrated I think...

I couple of others I liked Titanic, Lord of the Ring, Chronicles of Narnia, King Kong :cry: and last but not least:
Dirty Dancing! :lol: :wink:

cLavain

Cassie said:
cherish said:
May was a crazy ass movie

hehe, that's what's good about it :D
Yeah, but don't you think it would have been better without that over-the-top ending? It was a good portrait of a disturbed mind until they for some reason decided to make a slasher movie instead.

...and Angela Bettis is lovely! I just wanted to say that. :wink:

LA-girl said:
Have any of you watched it??
Yes, Twin Peaks was a great series. Too bad they never made another season.

Horatio

The Lighthorseman - Old 1980's Australian movie about mounted infantry in Palestine during the first world war

Titanic - I liked the old ship, the clothes, the way they speak, the grand dance hall, the Kate Winslet

Pirates of the Carribean - Ohhhh yeah! Arrrrrr!!!! I cant wait for the next one me hearties!!!

Master and Commander - Sailing ships *sighs*

Battle of Britain - classic war film with lots of fighter planes

October Sky - an inspirational feel good film

argh I could go on forever, listing every film Ive ever watched that is even remotely historical *sighs*

LA-girl

LA-girl wrote:

cLavain wrote:

Hei Fleksnes :wink:
What do you mean by a new season? Did they plan to make more episodes? There are 30 as far as I know...Or did you mean a new season on DVD...which is on its way by the way..? :wink: :lol:

cLavain

LA-girl said:
LA-girl wrote:

What do you mean by a new season? Did they plan to make more episodes? There are 30 as far as I know...Or did you mean a new season on DVD...which is on its way by the way..? :wink: :lol:
There were two seasons. The last episode ended abruptly with Cooper getting possessed, if I remember correctly. The ratings dropped, and the series was cancelled. :cry:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_peaks

LA-girl

I have to admit that the first season is better than the second, so maybe if they made a third season it might have ruined the impression of a superb serial. (What is serie in english :?: 8O )

Did you watch Twin Peaks when it was broadcasted on NRK many years ago, or have you seen it recently?

cLavain

LA-girl said:
I have to admit that the first season is better than the second, so maybe if they made a third season it might have ruined the impression of a superb serial. (What is serie in english :?: 8O )

Did you watch Twin Peaks when it was broadcasted on NRK many years ago, or have you seen it recently?
I believe they call it a "series".

I watched it when it first aired, so that must have been in the early 90s. Can't remember much, except for a few things, like the Log Lady. :lol: I remember it being good, though.

I don't think David Lynch was much involved in the second season, so that might explain the decline.

Have you seen the movie "Fire Walk with Me"? I never did.

LA-girl

cLavain said:
LA-girl said:

I believe they call it a "series".

I watched it when it first aired, so that must have been in the early 90s. Can't remember much, except for a few things, like the Log Lady. :lol: I remember it being good, though.

I don't think David Lynch was much involved in the second season, so that might explain the decline.

Have you seen the movie "Fire Walk with Me"? I never did.

Yes i have watched the movie, but it was a disaster compared to the series. Do you remember "Donna", Lauras girl-friend? She was acted by Laura Flynn Boyle. Well they replaced her and a couple of others, and it just didn't had the same nerve as the series. I have the first season on DVD and the second one will be out this summer I think... 8O

I also watched the series when it was first broadcasted, many years ago...I think I was 12 at the time!! Well, I had many many sleepless nights because of it :!:
A little info about the series:
http://www.needcoffee.com/updates/2003/12/07/twin-peaks-season-1-dvd-review

Here are pictures of the most important characters:
http://www.davidlynch.de/ca.html

Mary

Some of the movie posts that I really like also are: Pirates of the carribean-one of Johny Depps best roles!
October sky- a surprisinlgy good movie!
Lord of the rings-love the symbolisim
Shawshank Redemtion-just very good
The Green Mile-ditto
Ghost-unspeakably touching and moving
The Chronicles of Narnia-love the symbolism

But w/out doubt my ALL TIME FAV. was Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure!
IT's LIKE DUDE! SO AWESOME! TOTALLY RAD, TOTALLY NARLY! PARTY ON..E-X-C-E-L-L-E-N-T!!!!!!!! :wink: :lol: