fantasy world taking over!!

leahlove

Does anybody else get the feeling that their fantasy world is starting to take over their physical self? I mean, the images in my mind are getting more vivid and I'm starting to pace around the house and pick up random items and placing them somewhere else (and then I don't remember doing so later) . I even laugh when something amusing happens in 'the world' or even cry when something sad happens. It's really creeping me out, even though the pacing provides lots of exercise :D

leahlove

Oh sorry, that might've sounded a bit confusing. Since I've generally lost my gift of describing things I'm just going to quote off this website:

Fantasy and escape are all that is left because they cannot gain comfort from themselves or from others (Millon & Davis, 1996, pp. 264-265).

Dorr (Retzlaff, ed., 1995, p. 196) also notes that individuals with AvPD can deal with their emotions only through avoidance, escape, and fantasy. When faced with unanticipated stress, they have few internal strengths available to them to manage the situation. Energy is misdirected to avoid rather than to adapt. While these individuals seek isolation out of fear of humiliation or rejection, they desire relationships and connection. That leaves them with fantasy as their primary defense; here, the use of fantasy can be seen as a variant of the general defense of denial (Kubacki & Smith, Retzlaff, ed., 1995, p. 167).

hartbrokenvirgo

leahlove said:
Does anybody else get the feeling that their fantasy world is starting to take over their physical self? I mean, the images in my mind are getting more vivid and I'm starting to pace around the house and pick up random items and placing them somewhere else (and then I don't remember doing so later) . I even laugh when something amusing happens in 'the world' or even cry when something sad happens. It's really creeping me out, even though the pacing provides lots of exercise :D

all i will say is ,,,,,i can relate, :cry:

bleach

Banned
Yes.

Although I PREFER when the fantasy world 'takes over' for the simple fact that I am happier then.

As opposed to the moments when i am focused on my own life, and release how unfulfilling they are.

Fantasy is better, i think.

Uix

I do stuff like that quite abit, sometimes i can get so into a fantasy that i will walk around in circles in one room(only when nobodies home) for over 5 minutes. i've felt sad about things in my fantasies before but i don't think i've ever been sad enough to cry over them. sometimes at night i can scare myself with my own fantasized stories

I always find fantasy fun...well not always but. Usually, I just think of something I'm interested in and craft a whole fantasy about it in my head. If you came into the room when I was doing this, you'd think I'm crazy. You see, I got a tendency to jump up and down when I'm excited so thats what I'm doing in a room by myself. Sure, its fun...and I have never really thought about it like this, its pretty weird but heck, I'm still going to do it. :lol:

Ken

I'm in my fantasy world more often than in the real world anymore. I've decided to writing out the stories that go on in my head.

x000x

leahlove said:

I can definitely relate to this.

girlrequim02

I can def. relate!! I have had the same "fantasy world" since I was 14ish and of course I adapt it as I get older but sometimes it can be consuming. Some days I will be driving and my thoughts will be overwhelmed with this fantasy that I am not even concentrating on driving!!! My boyfriend and my mother have walked in on my during a "trip into my fantasy world" before man were they a little scared. I was so embarrassed. But what is weirder to me is that there are actually other people out there who have these too!!! I cannot believe it. Until today I felt so odd and alone but now I don't.

elProscrito

man, i can definietly relate
on some days i just spend most of my time in my head. sometimes i daydream during classes, when i'm doing shopping or i wander off when i'm talking to someone
i feel it's destroying my life coz i wish i could live in the moment istead of projecting these fantasies in my head. does anyone has a method to limit these fantasies?

noblame4

I relate. I do it almost all the time, and I pace my legs off. I've cried a lot too because of something going on in there (eh, I like tragedys.) I've never been busting crying but I have been busted grinning to myself a lot. My mom likes to pop out and scare me when I'm doing it (man, I really gotta move out she's going to send me into cardiac arrest).

When I have to go shop or something, In my head I have a friend there talking to me, when I'm driving too. Sometimes I zone out and drive somewhere I didnt mean to go. 8O

I've always done this as long as I can remember so it's normal to me, and I enjoy it so I dont worry about curbing it or anything. I wouldnt tell anyone about this in real life, though. I'm really too old to still be 'playing pretend'.

When people ask me what Im doing, I always say "Just thinking."

Smokeringz

ive been doing it my whole life, some times it gets so hardcore i end up lying under a table and not knowing how i got there.

CK23

In my own fantasy i create images of a lady i am head over heels over her and i'm lying on a bed when she comes over at night, runs her fingers through my hair and asks me all about my day and relieves my stress... Then i have negative comments and commentary on the relationship by t.v show characters i have a strong bonding with... I think of James Marsters A.K.A Braniac (Smallville) i visualise him, seeing him tell me all the hard painful shit about my life and how screwed up i am... I imagine Tom Welling A.K.A (Clark Kent) telling me there's no hope, it's all too crappy, in the fantasy i tell him i wanna finish this fucked up life but he says there's nothing you can do... you cant die cos the people who are there with you will cry their eyes out... not cos they miss the person but cos the dreams they wanted from that person weren't fulfilled... And so you have to carry on in this messed up bullshit till you have the luxury of dying without suicide...

Skog

Pinker said:
I don't know about fantasy world but i'm always daydreaming, wishing for things that may as well be fantasy.

Yes - the daydreaming. I do way too much of that and it interferes with getting my work done. I suppose it must occasionally motivate me to try to do something to make a daydream reality, but mostly it's just a frustrating loss of time I should use for something else.

typewriterx

I can relate.
Everyday I have tons of faux conversations that I know I will never have.
Except rather than fantasy, I think of it more as...being prepared.
I'm socially awkward so I mentally prepare for any and all possibilities.

Hylke

typewriterx said:
I can relate.
Everyday I have tons of faux conversations that I know I will never have.
Except rather than fantasy, I think of it more as...being prepared.
I'm socially awkward so I mentally prepare for any and all possibilities.

I do this as well, although I sometimes do it for preparation I mostly just spin an entire fictional conversation with either real or fantasy people around a random thought I had.
This can be very annoying, when I get a very interesting idea which I want to persuade, I find myself preparing my nobel acceptance speech about ir or something like that.

Tamzin

The conversations in your head thing is perfectly normal, you know! Lots of people rehearse things in their head, even though they know they might never actually have the conversation in real life. So no need to worry about that. Daydreaming is also quite normal, everyone does it.

As for those whose fantasies are much more vivid and elaborate, why not write it all down as a story? I've never come across a writer who didn't have a vivid imagination and fantasies in their head, but they put it all to good use in their writing. Why waste good stories by keeping them to yourself? Write it all down and if it makes a good story then share it with others (don't forget to change the names of real-life people, though!).