Family Gatherings

sanitariumcalls

I am not close to my family, maybe a select few relatives here and there, but not best buds style. I often get asked by fam why I never show up for gatherings, be it Christmas or whatever. Sometimes I get criticized for being in the background, away from the crowds,. When I do show up, I'm told to smile once in a while and such. Then if I start drinking, oh God, what a travesty! I'm drinking a couple beers or glasses or wine at a family gathering where half the attendees are closet alcoholics!

I don't particularly like my relatives, obviously. Most of them have Ostrich syndrome, burying their heads in the sand when somethings' wrong. Like when I was in and out of mental hospitals for 7 years in my teens. Everyone knew, but I was the elephant in the room, no one spoke about it except for a select few aunts or cousins that actually gave a damn. So, naturally, I do not like seeing those people. Hell, I only see my mom (who lives 65 miles north of me) once or twice a year and we're fairly close. I have a Facebook for family communication, damn it. Maybe you people should come see me down here than bug me to come north once in a while...

Do any of you feel like this? Have relatives that look down on your lack of socialization? How do you deal? Or do you just ignore it as I try to do...

Ignace

I always skip family gathering now. Last time I went was 3 years ago. I didn't see anyone of my family since then. Except my parents. It's not they're bad persons or so, they even tried to make me laugh, it's just me.

sevenroses

It's been a while since I attended a family gathering. I'm extremely extremely cautious in who's going to attend. If there is even one single family member that will be attending and who I don't like or get along with (judgemental, etc) I won't go. Heck there's been instances when family members I don't get along with, visit my place and when they come I just make and excuse to leave the house ("oh I gotta pick something up") then walk out and leave. Another time I had one of my cousins and her bf knock on my window while I was sleeping when I had the house to myself and I didn't answer the door because she bullied me back then. When they asked why didn't I open the door, I just tell them because I was sleeping at the time and I didn't hear them. Oh well. lol :p

Predacon

I hear that, it's been a while since I could be bothered to go to a family gathering. The only ones I do go to are funerals.