fake smile/laugh

MariahCarey

does any1 find themselves forcing themselves to smile or laugh @ things even wen dey dont find it funny jus so ppl dont pick on them or ask them why they're so miserable?

scatmantom

well sometimes. If its the boss ill always laugh cos im a arse smudger LOL!

only kidding...at times a fake laugh can help avoid embarrassement for the joke teller so i dont mind doing it.

sweetsour_eisha

so many times in my life..i just have to force a smile, but the more i force the more i want to run,hide and cry somewhere alone... :cry:
did i just mention somewhere that i'm scared..oh well..nvr the mind..it's just my mind again.. :oops:

sweetsour_eisha

scatmantom said:
only kidding...at times a fake laugh can help avoid embarrassement for the joke teller so i dont mind doing it.

yeah..then i'll feel so stupid..it's almost as though i'm laughing for no reason :?

Gloomy

The fake kind of smile and laugh is the only kind I know. I have no idea what my real smile looks like or what my real laugh sounds like. I do the fake laugh when I want people to know I thought something was funny. Fake smile is for pictures.
:)

Nie

Yea, I know people like me when I smile.. but that's not me.
I hate that mask so much.
All the hypocrisy makes me sick.

Smile to be accepted, smile not to cry, laugh because despair..
And smile again to excuse it all..
I wish I could be myself. But then again, I already can't certainly identify myself anyways...
At least when I'm alone I don't have to fake my feelings. Although I don't even know
what my feelings are anymore.. I never know what to say when I'm asked how I feel.
The only thing I'm always sure of is uneasiness and some strange feeling as if
my heart was scraped with a rasp.
I hate to smile when such blackness is planted into my heart..
Makes me feel so miserable.
But somehow it doesn't even matter..

Scottish_Player

This is a poem i wrote ages ago, its a big negative and not much how i feel now but here it is,

PRETEND SMILE

A smile appears for all too see
but hiding behind that smile is the real me
A person who is sad, a person who is lost
a person who is living without a cause

The person i am i dont really know
as i have spent so long putting on a show
to make people happy and think everything is ok
and i dont know how long i can go on living this way

The smile dissapears when no one is around
thats when the real me can be found
i sit there happy, no longer having to pretend
as i know iam another day closer to the end.

frightened

Well I find it hard to do a fake smile because I'm so nervous and my face is so tense. In high school I smiled/laughed for real to cope with my SAD and people told me to stop smiling and laughing because I did it too much.

Yeah. Dumb isn't it?

It sort of reflects how the social phobia/anxiety is rooted in a poor view of one's self worth - which in our day and age isn't surprising but is sad all the same. A person ought to have the freedom to be themselves and to laugh or not to laugh....but I find myself in class, when a professor makes a joke, I feel I must laugh too. Or if I am in a conversation, I feel I must smile or laugh so the person doesn't think I am too boring or mundane or something.

Part of the work of overcoming, I think, is working to love and to be oneself. I've had periods of it before and it is very different.

Waybuloo

frightened said:
Well I find it hard to do a fake smile because I'm so nervous and my face is so tense. In high school I smiled/laughed for real to cope with my SAD and people told me to stop smiling and laughing because I did it too much.

ditto, that's so true. When i fake smile, which is when i'm nervous, (cause i can usually call up a real one when i'm relaxed), it feels like i'm wrenching my face or something. I think it puts people off cause my eyes are shining with fear while my mouth is twisted in what must have looked like a snear.

It looks so easy for people to smile and glow while they chatter. I'm envious.