Experiences - speaking in a room full of people

SilentAndShy

So, my colleague asked if I could attend a meeting with her and speak about our new work system which other local organisations have also installed. I was expecting it to be a small meeting but low and behold, walk in and it's a room full of women (one other male!) and our slot to speak was unfortunately towards the end. So I wrote some items down but wasn't required. Spent my time before speaking thinking about what I was going to say, what 'joke' or light hearted comments I could throw in.

Stood at the front with the PC, I felt slightly helpless. My colleague didn't join me which annoyed me as that bit of support might have relaxed me more. I didn't feel confident or comfortable. When people asked questions, other orgs who had the system chipped in and I just wanted to disappear as I felt they had more knowledge than me and we'd had the system for bit longer.

So, yup, not attending any meetings like that again!

Megaten

This is pretty much whats going to happen to me tomorrow. A professor volunteered me to represent my entire class on a panel discussion about how we can improve curriculum. I dont know nor care about any of that but for some reason they wanted me to do it. So now Ive gotta figure out what Im gonna say tomorrow in front of these strangers for no good reason. I think they're plotting to make me more outspoken but I just want a job and a way out of my folks house, not become a pillar of the community. Im hoping there wont be a large turnout.

SpaceTime

I think they're plotting to make me more outspoken but I just want a job and a way out of my folks house, not become a pillar of the community.
Great line, made me smile. :)

This is a problem for me too, we're living in a predominantly extrovert world. All the extroverts want to try and change all the introverts to be more like them because they think that's the road to success and happiness. Well, it may be so for them but it doesn't work for me.

SilentAndShy

This is pretty much whats going to happen to me tomorrow. A professor volunteered me to represent my entire class on a panel discussion about how we can improve curriculum. I dont know nor care about any of that but for some reason they wanted me to do it. So now Ive gotta figure out what Im gonna say tomorrow in front of these strangers for no good reason. I think they're plotting to make me more outspoken but I just want a job and a way out of my folks house, not become a pillar of the community. Im hoping there wont be a large turnout.

Best of luck! Advice is get up first and get it over with and preparation.

I think things might have gone better for me had we been up the agenda and early rather than waiting.

Megaten

Heck they actually made me go first lol. I managed to get a good 15 sentences out maybe and then declined to speak any further, didnt wanna push my luck. The girl that went up there with me was my saving grace, she had this spiel she had memorized and it gave me about 30 seconds to make my brain work at least a little bit. Because once I saw that room I couldnt even read anymore let alone speak. But Im still alive so I count this as a victory.

Sacrament

Public speaking is nervewrecking even for people without social anxiety/phobia.

I remember being in the 10th (I think) grade and doing a presentation with a friend about Beethoven. My hands were shaking so much while speaking that I just knew everyone could tell, not to mention my trembling voice.

A couple of years ago I won a poetry competition on a national level and I went there knowing I had to go up on the stage to accept the award. What I didn't expect was a full auditorium. It was a relatively small town so I figured only a few people would show up. Nope.

I was nervous and sweaty, and my face was very warm, but the thing that really changed things around for me that day is that one of the judges (who was also a writer) was reading works from all the winners (prose and poetry) and honorable mentions, and since 1) I didn't want her to read a couple of my poems (too personal), and 2) I wanted to challenge myself and not have any regrets, I was asked if I wanted to read them and I immediately said yes. Granted, I read them a little too fast from being anxious, but the feedback I got was amazing. Plus I threw in a little joke in there before the reading, which made everyone chuckle. I was way more proud than I would have been if I had let that lady read my poems for me.

Megaten

Thats pretty incredible Sacrament. And yeah Ive heard that most people say they fear death less than public speaking.

Kiwong

I can talk in front of big groups of people. One on one communication is what I find difficult.

Odo

Banned
I can talk in front of big groups of people. One on one communication is what I find difficult.

I'm okay with one-on-one, but situations where a group of people is conversing freely is very difficult for me... like at parties or social events.

I speak in front of fairly large groups of people quite often... I get anxious more often than I would like, but as long as I know what I'm doing I can get through it fine. I mean, giving presentations isn't really social... you're just delivering something you've already prepared. It's only bad if I don't have control over the environment--like if I have to do something in someone else's class or am being evaluated. As soon as I don't have control, I crumble.

It's not the people that makes me worry, it's the uncertainty and unpredictability involved with not being able to control my surroundings. Sometimes it becomes like this sense of dread that something is going to happen, and at times I'm so overwhelmed by anxiety that I've lost sight of what it is.

I guess I have gotten less nervous over time and it helps if I have a lot of classes as opposed to just a few... but the anxiety never completely goes away and as soon as I'm in a situation where everything is unstructured and conversation is supposed to flow freely, I find it nearly impossible to assert myself.

Last edited: