Exercising/Staying in Shape?

Oizys

I'm curious about how other agoraphobics get their exercise, I'm kind of looking for tips and methods to use myself. I guess I'll explain my situation and see what I get back.

In the beginning when I tried to work out, the effects of working out mirrored a panic attack - sweating, short of breath, too hot - so I just couldn't do it. I started doing small things that wouldn't push me to the point of mirroring an attack, like 5 push ups, 2 minutes on an exercise bike at an easy speed, that kind of thing. Glad to say I've pushed it so I can work out without panicking over being sweaty or short of breath, now my other obstacle is that as an agoraphobic, a gym or a quick jog outside isn't an option and I can't afford any additional equipment either - I've the stationary bike I bought about 4 years ago and I'm using litre milk cartons filled with water as dumbbells, so I'm basically relying heavily on working with my own body weight, indoors.

So, what do you guys do? Any tips?

jaim38

I usually work out with Youtube exercise videos. I do a variety of exercises from kickboxing to yoga. And roughly twice a week, I walk and run on the treadmill. I also try to incorporate strength and core training into my routine. Overall, it's 25-30 minutes per day of working out. I also prefer not to work out in the gym or outside (we get triple digit temperatures in the summer so that's not an option).

The trick to staying in shape is to be careful not to overeat. For example, if I do light exercises for the day, I try not to each too much. But if I work out hard the next day, I will feel hungrier so allow myself to each more.

Rawz

For cardio I do the same as you--I use a stationary exercise bike. Just keep working your way up to longer times on it and more resistance (if you have a way of adjusting resistance).

For strength training I have a few weights, dumbells, barbell bar, etc. So I use those.