ETS Isn't always terrible

acreepyperson

Yes, I am someone who had a successful operation.

I think what people should keep in mind is their state of mind going into the decision making process. It took me about 5 or 6 years to follow through on the decision to go through with it, because like many of you I heeded the warnings of the disaster stories mainly from people going in the surgery for blushing.

Well, in fall of 2011 I felt like enough was enough. The self-consciousness had impeded so much in my life and daily functioning, I don't think I was alone in wondering why I hadn't just given it a shot already. It's good to consider the fact that your peers don't see you for your odd problems, but for your values in contrast to their own. (we are all very self-conscious beings)

It's really how you hold yourself up there, if you have this problem or not!

So, growing up I went through the entire spectrum of sweating locations. At one point in middle school, I particularly remember being self conscious of butt crack sweat, it would indeed soak my undergarments but only to an extent. At that time, it was mainly my arm pits, as well as hands - That is until I found Aluminum Chloride, an active ingredient, to be very beneficial to me. I never had to worry about my pits again. (they would drench all the way down the sides of my shirt).

From then on, I used prescription aluminum chloride for my hands, rubbing them on religiously every night, once i felt a dry patch on my palms, lets just say i felt very nice about myself then. And it indeed spread throughout my hands- the dryness -and let's just say I had a small "honeymoon period" in high school where my hands weren't bothersome. (I also took oral "Robinul" tablets)

However, my body adapted to the chloride, and on occasions(many) I had full blown dripping hands again. I even started to develop severe facial sweating at this point! IE: Holding an english presentation with hands that will soak through sand paper as well as beads of sweat dripping to the ground. I was definitely someone, without my full knowledge, someone who sweated a lot.

It didn't effect other people in accordance to how i felt it effected me. That's what the whole thing is- this unstable fight or flight sequence in our brains that controls all of this. That being said, I did have emotional issues as well; I mean how is that not part of the package of this problem to begin with? I became increasingly anti-social and aloof to the experiences that you would normally call a high school experience.

I still made friends, but definitely this condition blocked me from the required confidence of making those atypical "memories" that one would achieve (at least how I feel I should be experiencing them)

I've taken a much different approach to living thus far, as we all have with this condition. Now when it comes back to people seeing us for our values and who you really are as a person, that completely bypasses the sweaty mess you might perceive to be. Of course, it's not like this advice helps this source problem anyway, after all you are the person who makes yourself miserable, and if you're like how it all was for me, it's ok if you blame yourself. But it is you, who makes you like that.

So there are answers.

I went through with the surgery in November of 2011 with Dr. Fritz Baumgartner

Hyperhidrosis.com – Call For Hyperhidrosis Treatment Today

-He's the first guy on the list on hyperhidrosis.com, which was.. beneficial for me being that im from S. California too.

I made an appointment and so very impatiently waited meeting with him.
The guy is a cardiovascular surgeon, so he was meeting with MANY patients on that given day. He is not, so to speak, a "Hyperhidrosis" man who flaunts his phd in your face so he can take your money. He is a surgeon, and these guys dont take ****, if you understand what im saying, they put people's life on the line for small periods of a given time to make choices to try to BENEFIT the patients life. Not ruin it!

With all this said, I walked in, And told him how things were with me. I opted for the t3 or t4 nerve cut BUT NOT THE T2 NERVE BECAUSE THAT LEADS TO A HIGHER CHANCE FOR COMPENSATORY SWEATING. So we agreed on t3.

And like that, it was cut and dry. copy, paste. wet skin, dry skin.

I had the surgery and woke up in a hysterical state. (I was actually laughing)

For heaven's sake I actually WENT AGAINST TRUTHABOUTETS.COM and did the surgery! And I was laughing.. I guess because I knew that the choice I made I wouldn't be able to take back. But Low and Behold my hands were dry like a factory workers mit. My hands were dry, not moist in the small crevices between your fingers like I had been used to feeling for years before. I no longer felt that physical feeling of anticipating your sweat glands to swell up, where they leak everywhere and you constantly by instinct have to rub you hands on your clothing.

No. My hands were dry. Perma-dry.

The doc said that I was one of his worst cases. ( what he does to see the intensity of your condition is, he puts water based lube on your hands and tells you to rub them) Sure enough when we met, I got a good drip for him to observe. And he did indeed felt the urgency to give me a hand. And he succeeded at it. (that is him and his well paid surgical team succeeded at it)

So, the reason that this thread is so long is because I want to get it across to whoever is concerned about this problem, and it is weighing this heavily on you. GO THROUGH WITH THE SURGERY, you will be doing yourself more of a favor.

As long as you get the t3 nerve cut or clamped, and try your hardest to not complain about what your body does in response to the procedure. I know because my body feels a little off keel at times, but it all comes with the package, and it isn't that bad.

In regards to my own trade offs -

I will only perspire excessively on my body under heat and while im doing physical labor. Which is the compensatory/hyperhidrosis feeling part. This is relative to certain situations however.

The main concern, and im sure what is considered around here as "Anhidrosis" is that i'll get full body rashes sometimes. They sting. A lot. I think this is a more peculiar reaction, but it is definitely occuring with me. Whereas a compensatory sweater will react to hot foods, i'll break out in full body hives, or a rash. Not pleasant. This however was said to go away eventually by the doctor. I have no other choice but to take the docs word for it.

and thats it.

In severe terms, I would take "Hot and Itchy" over "Cold and Clammy" or maybe even "Hot and Clammy" any day. :perfect:

Personally, I would suggest my doctor, him and his team did a great job. When you're there, try and actually feel like your on a set of ER and your life is on the line. If you decide to take the surgery, have fun with it. The grass is greener on the other side of the anesthesia.

-thank you for reading this thread-

Sprawling

A lot of people do not start having problems till several years after the procedure. If you are new to the group, please keep this in mind.

acreepyperson

All im saying is that it really has helped me. My hands are not dripping anymore, and I am actually having problems with really DRY hands. There is a small element of compensatory sweating that i'll get, but I do not think it is in compensation for the extreme nature of sweat that accumulated on my hands...

I am also bipolar, and am taking lithium. (keep in mind we are all victims of a cruel world, i would just advise you to not play the role as a victim itself). Rather, I get really bad hives and rashes. You see, in response to the surgery, I think my medication is trying to bring back my natural body reactions of sweating, in doing so gives me very strange reactions.

This is my current issue and i would assume lithium is the culprit. This is a nearly impossible drug to get off though.

In conclusion, I DO have negative side effects. I do not think at this point though that anything else that otherwise a persons body would naturally have certain reactions to are affecting me.

I do not have compensatory sweating. I repeat, I do not have any extreme form of compensatory sweating. Only natural sweating occasionally on the skin, maybe a small amount more.

I'll put it this way..

Once I do have any form of high compensatory sweating.. I will come back and inform you guys. This is my promise. (because I oddly enjoy complaining too)

This will also go for any re-occurring hyperhidrosis, or any health complications that I think are related to the surgery.

I am honestly thinking that I am growing out of this issue guys... The surgery just gave my body a kick in the pants in doing so.

(I highly doubt any of us will be sweating through the sheets when we die at an old age)

Last edited:

hyperxtechie

@acreepyperson - I agree that the surgery was not terrible, it has changed my life! I had ETS in November of 2010, a year before you. Here's my post - http://www.socialphobiaworld.com/decided-to-have-ets-surgery-30409/

Every now and then, I do come back on this forum just to remember what I dealt with and post updates.

I DO have compensatory sweating and sometimes it is extreme especially on hot days. But for some reason, it doesn't bother me as much as it did my hands because other parts of my body you can conceal, but not with palms (shaking hands). So it is a trade-off that I've accepted and I wouldn't have changed my mind about the procedure.

CharlesN

Thanks for the info and honesty on the surgery. I'm sorta too old now to care that much once the ionto stops working - but younger I thought about the surgery a tonne and only the fear of the horror stories held me back. Glad it has worked out to your benefit.

I agree that hands are the hardest part to hide - nobody tries to shake your armpit or groin when they meet you. At least not at my firm. lol

Well, maybe facial would be worse - I have that a minor bit so I can't really say...