Employment Agencies & Job Ads

xSleepy

So I was wondering if anyone has ever tried going to an employment agency or tried looking at the job section in the newspaper and actually called one of them.

My grandmas been bugging me to try this job agency so they can help me find a job. But im really nervous and scared at whats gonna happen. Like am I gonna have to be interviewd by a whole lot of people, or what? I just dont know what to expect.
And right now I kinda want a retail job, and I dont know if employment agencies usually send you to retial jobs or just desk jobs.

And im always looking through my local newspaper to see the current jobs listed. But I can NEVER get up the courage to call any of these people, becuase again, I dont know what to expect. And im always really nervous.

So ya, I was just wondering if anyones tried those things and how it worked out for you. Hope to hear from somebody soon :D

Caseums21

I'm from PA and I went to an employment agency. I'm not sure if all the agencies are the same but I'll tell you what I had to do.

I went to the agency and they sat me down at a computer. I typed in what I would like to do and the salary I would want to expect plus my personal information. Then I was taken into a room and chatted with only one guy. He told me about jobs that I would like and he gave me the information about them.

If I wanted those jobs, those companies would be sent my information (kinda like an application) and if they are interested they would call me and I would go in for an interview.

No, its not only desk jobs. You said that you want to work at retail. The job I got was at Target and I worked there for about 2 years. There were many jobs to choose from. Also, there was a bulletin board when I walked in with jobs that are hiring. Don't be nervous, it doesn't take long and you don't talk to many people at once. You'll do fine.

I also called about jobs from the newspaper. I really hate calling people but I knew I had to do it. The people who answered were really nice and they answered all my questions. One woman liked my personality on the phone so much, that she asked me to go to an interview that day and I got that job on the spot. Just take deep breaths and stay calm. They are there to help you.

shynobody

Caseums21 ^^ is right about talking to just one person for employment agencies (it wouldnt happened to be called apple one...is it? lol) and its not questions like "why should we pick you instead of the other applicants?" or "if such and such happens, how will you handle it" grrrr lol :roll:. its more like your qualifications and job history. and you get to choose whichever job openings you qualify for and you like that they have listed. you may have to take some tests and stuff. but usually you are almost given the job...its not like youre competing against 100s of other applicants that you get with the want ads. some jobs may be temporary. but if they like you, they may keep you...like a trial period. you may not even have a regular interview with the actual employer. if you are looking for a permenant job tell the employ agent. if nothing suits you, just keep checking every day/week for new ones. you may not want to be too picky, you just want job experience and hopefully get the job career you want later on. give it a try, you never know. its best not to have long periods between jobs and job hopping.

if you want something in retail, go to the stores and fill out an application and include a well-done resume even if they dont have any openings at the moment. and it wouldnt hurt to call the store managers every once in a while...it will show initiative and they may be impressed.

but this was years ago, things may have changed. i gave up job seeking and work altogether cuz my sa is sooo bad. i've been retired almost 20 years lol :oops: :(. good luck :D

IceLad

Nice thread- this is exactly what I'm currently thinking of doing. Like you, I'm reluctant (bit of an understatement), to make the initial contact! :roll:

I joined three employment agencies in my previous spell of unemployment. I sent my CV off to two of them and had an initial interview with the other, but in the end I wasn't offered anything. Perhaps it was because at the time I had qualifications, but absolutely no work experience. However, quite a few of my friends have managed to get permanent jobs through agencies.

xSleepy

Ive heard of AppleOne. But the one im trying is KellyService. You can search that online.

And i did send them my resume and I told them im looking for something within 10 miles of my house, and they said thats gonna be really hard to find. And they only do administrative jobs.

But the thing that worries me most is that i lied on my resume. I said I worked for a tax company for 10 months as a secretary when I really didnt. I dont want them to think I can do something that I really CANT do. Im just afraid of them asking me detailed questions about that job and im afraid i wont beable to answer.
And I had to lie because I had no other experience except 1 month at retail. And for the KellyService you have to have at least 6 months experience doing something.

And Ive put in TONS of apps at retial stores. But right now noones hiring so its really just a waste of time.

alter_ego

Okay, here's some tips that just might work for anyone looking for employment. They really DID work for me - and I'd been out of work for several years after a breakdown. :D

Remember something like 80% of vacancies actually go unadvertised. Don't wait for a company to advertise - write them a short letter stating your preferred hours etc.

If you can, send your letter direct to the person who deals with hiring. It always impresses to get their name :D and you can get it easily, just ring up and ask whoever answers the phone. (Remember the stamped addressed envelope and to say thanks at the end of your letter too.)

When companies are doing very well they often advertise their products in newspapers etc. If they're advertising their products then they obviously need more staff to cope with the increased demand.

Remember if you've got an interview - you've usually got the job! :D

Oh, and by the way, I stretched the truth here and there to get hired - a little white lie helps a lot! :lol:

xSleepy

wow, that souns kinda overwheliming---however you spell it. There so much you have to do.

And the part where you said, if you have an interview then you might get the job, isnt always true. All but 1 interviews I did got me a job. And I was just lucky...VERY lucky.

alter_ego

SleepingBeauty said:
wow, that souns kinda overwheliming---however you spell it. There so much you have to do.

No, not really. :) All anyone has to do is this:

You notice a company (I'll make up a name, say, Sophie Smith's Stores :roll: ) has a full page advertisement in your local newspaper and often advertises on TV. If Sophie Smith can afford to pay for advertising, she can afford to take on new staff - she just hasn't realised yet! :D

So...you ring up (if you're not comfortable using the phone, ask a relative or friend) and ask if there are any vacancies. If the person on the other end of the phone says "No, sorry" ask who you should contact when there ARE vacancies. So now you have a contact name (I'll make one up again, say, Mrs Josie Jones). You write a nice but not too long letter (enclosing a stamped self-addressed envelope) to Mrs Josie Jones which should go something like this:

Your address
Your telephone number

15 March 2008

Dear Mrs Jones

I am writing to enquire about vacancies with Sophie Smith's Stores. I am aged eighteen and seeking part-time work until September when I will be starting college. I am prepared to work flexible hours and Saturdays. My qualifications include (don't list them all, only the ones that are appropriate to the job and only state grades if you got a good grade in the subject :twisted: ) and my experience includes (only state experience if it's appropriate to the job otherwise don't bother mentioning it :twisted: ).

I can supply references (we all have relatives, friends, neighbours, teachers etc who won't mind writing them, people are flattered to be asked :lol: ) and I would be available for interview at a time to suit yourselves. I have enclosed SAE for your reply.

Thank you.

Yours sincerely

your signature

Jessica Clark

Hope that helps someone anyway! :D