embarrassment and how to handle it?

EscapeArtist

what is an effective way to deal with the highly negative self talk that follow after an embarrassing moment?

nafadda

tell yourself that 100 yrs from now it won't matter anyway and then just laugh about it and don't take it so seriously;)

DeadmanWalking

What I usually do in times like that is to listen to some calm music until I'm serene because, when I'm embarrassed, I'm not in the right mind to be making sound judgments. After I'm calm, I take a logical look at the incident, tell myself that I'm not as bad a person as I'm making myself out to be, and I try to learn from that incident.

Leonie

I used a lot of positive self talk, I would view the negativity as the enemy and would always keep telling myself the opposite of what it was saying to me, eventually I started listening! Its a bit like training your mind to think differently and view events differently.
This has definitely worked for me, it just took a while:)

EscapeArtist

Thanks guys! Really good advice. I love that you view the negative voice as the enemy. We could even take it a step further and start to pity the 'enemy', I find that really clearly defines the separation between it and you. I remember once reading that when the negative voices come in, just stomp your foot and say "MOVE!" lol I don't know about that one in public.