Dread working

Apple Strudel

I really hate working...I just got back from my retail job and it was hell since I work in a restaurant. I did not get an yscoldings but the work is tough and the pay is shit.

Because the pay is shit, I have to work for another few more months before I can save and transfer to another school and then another school...

I am 22 years going on 23 and when can I not work in such a crappy job??????

Not working is not an option and my parents don't want to support me any longer.

Damn...I feel so lost...my stomach is having lots of butterflies and my chest hurts...

Anubis

Sometimes you need a "reason" to do monotonous work and not feel miserable. After reading your post, it kinda seems like you're doing the work primarily to pay for your schooling. The million dollar question then becomes ... are you going to school for your passion or are you going to school "just to satisfy your parents". Because if it's the latter, then your dreading work for a good reason. Everything seems pointless and painful when you're living other people's lives instead of yours.

Kat

Customer service and social anxiety are usually not a good combination. You may be better off stacking shelves. I know it’s pretty much impossible to avoid people all together in a job but those type of jobs can be a challenge for even the social people because you usually get all the slack from the unhappy customers. Makes me think maybe a manager job would be good because I see them rarely complain to them.

cruisin

I dread working too man. I'm stuck in retail and even though it's just a couple of days a week I can't cope. It's not even the actual work that I find so hard to cope with but rather the trip there and back ie; being on public transport for an hour.

I just put on a hoody and keep my head down listening to music but I still worry about what everyone around me is thinking and afraid I'll have an encounter with someone.

:(

SingleAloneForever

Actually, perhaps my case is unique. I work in Customer Service, dealing with customers on a very regular basis.

I find that in a working environment, I'm actually OK. I don't get nervous much, and I can chat happily to the customers, asking them how their day is going, all that sort of small talk. Although, if an attractive female comes in, I get a little nervous, and sometimes blush or so I've been told by a workmate. But for the most part I am perfectly fine.

I don't know why then that I can not take this working attitude and apply it to social environments.

Sorry to highjack the thread, it's just something that I find odd about myself.

Apple Strudel

Sometimes you need a "reason" to do monotonous work and not feel miserable. After reading your post, it kinda seems like you're doing the work primarily to pay for your schooling. The million dollar question then becomes ... are you going to school for your passion or are you going to school "just to satisfy your parents". Because if it's the latter, then your dreading work for a good reason. Everything seems pointless and painful when you're living other people's lives instead of yours.

I do it so that I could use my school certs as a passport to open more jobs.

I don't even know what the hell I am doing living this 'life'. My feelings are either constantly being hurt, sense of dread and even always wanting to run away.

I'm seriously running around in circles...

itay

In my experience, in all the jobs i did up now, some very different, the major problem i've always had is that people just don't respect me, it doesen't matter if i'm good at the job or not, all people see my anxity. I've even been told that that i'm a good worker but that i should saw more enthusiasm.

I know how you feel. I recently had a job where I was stocking shelves and just remember thinking all kinds of things to myself. I just wanted out but couldn't as I needed the job. I felt so stuck and pointless (plus my SA). It really altered my mood when I went in every morning. Yeah, I always wonder when I won't have to do jobs like that anymore.