Doubts about english language

Klaus

My native language is not english, so I have many doubts while writing texts and I am probably doing several mistakes in this very own small phrases.

Let's begin:

The correct is: "God helpS us" or "God help up".

For me the correct way of writing this would be "helps us" but google has 3 million ocurrences for "help us" and 1 million for "helps us".

Isn't God a He?

Beatmetrics

Isn't God a He?

If it is God help us that is used as some form of plea. God helps us is more of straight statement. Use what ever suits your mood.

Some say God is a women and some beg to differ.

Last edited:

Beatmetrics

I must say Klaus you do how ever speak perfectly good English on your other post. Ah! I'm offended your bs'ing today aren't you?!?!

Klaus

Ah! I'm offended your bs'ing today aren't you?!?!

Can you explain this to me?
Are you saying that I'm faking that my english is bad? That's a very good compliment! I have many doubts with prepositions and verbe tenses.
My vocabulary is ok, I think.

hoddesdon

I don't know what you mean by asking "Isn't God a He?", but you may mean that the third person singular form of the verb ends in "s" e.g. "I think" but "he thinks".

The expression is "God help us". It is "help", not "helps" because it is the subjunctive tense. It is the same as "Gott sei Dank" or "Es lebe der Koenig" in German. The subjunctive tense is different from the indicative tense. It is subjunctive because it is expressing a wish, not indicating what is real. The indicative tense means something that is real, but the subjunctive tense means something that is not real.

It is true that the subjunctive tense is disappearing in English. It is correct to say "I demand that he leave" (a wish or something not real at the moment), but many people say "I demand that he leaves". The subjunctive is still used in "God help us" because it is a very old expression.

coyote

Don't worry about it too much.

Most native English speakers don't know how to write correctly in English anyway.

Beatmetrics

Can you explain this to me?.

Very well then! I will!

Are you saying that I'm faking that my English is bad?

What, of course not. Just implying that you maybe joking around about this whole bad at English thing cause I see nothing wrong with it.

That's a very good compliment!

Your welcome.

I have many doubts with prepositions and verb tenses.
My vocabulary is ok, I think.

Listen, the moment you doubt yourself is the time when things will actually happen. Your usage is doing you well.

I use to know a guy that's from Morocco. Very handsome and nice guy. We'd go to the beach together got out to eateries and I showed him around a bit that helped him a little bit. However by the way that you are writing you seem to have the written language down pat so keep going :)

Last edited:

Bittersweet

My native language is not english, so I have many doubts while writing texts and I am probably doing several mistakes in this very own small phrases.

Let's begin:

The correct is: "God helpS us" or "God help up".

For me the correct way of writing this would be "helps us" but google has 3 million ocurrences for "help us" and 1 million for "helps us".

Isn't God a He?

It depends on the context. If you want to make the exclamation, you would use God help us!

If you are merely making a point about God you would say something like: God helps us in our daily lives. God helps us be better people.

I hope that answered the question you were asking.

Any other questions about English? Let's see if we can help!

Bittersweet

I believe the correct way would be

for God's sake, but people run it together and often say for god sake or for god sakes.

Basil, what is your native language?

Bittersweet

rise and raise are very similar. I will try to give examples to show the proper context.

A mother raises her children.

The sun rises.

I rise early to go to work.

They raise sheep for their wool.

A balloon rises in the air.

She raises her hand to ask a question in science class.

Raise vs. Rise: An English-Zone.Com Lesson and Quiz < also, this diagram explains in more detail.