Don't know what to do - thoughts?

UnderTheBoughs

A couple of weeks ago I applied for a job at ASDA and today I have an email from them saying I have been invited to an "ASDA Magic Event" Assessment Centre or something. The official email doesn't sound too bad, but I have read more about it online (people talking about their exerperiences) and here are some quotes:

"In my session we had to find out a few things from the person sat next to us then tell the rest of the group."

"sell to the group an item we'd been given then in a small group design a asda store of the future drawin it on paer and tellin every1 about it."

"We had to design a poster and a sing a jingle to go with it"

I get quite anxious talking on the phone, so calling them up to arrange my going to this event will be a challange itself. I am desperate for a job but this is something I can't do.

I am all for challenging myself and exposure, but singing? Selling a product to group? Getting to know strangers and then telling a group about them? Drawing a store of the future and then explaining it to the group?

Short version: I do not believe I could handle this situation, no matter how much I pushed myself. Really, what I guess I want, is for someone to say that it's OK not to go. But I am so desperate for a job, it's like throwing away an opportunity.

The last interview I had I physically could not answer questions such as "Tell us about yourself", I have moved on since then, thanks to talking to my counsellor about it, but I honestly think, based on the descriptions, this event is beyond me. I have no choice but to turn it down, right?

silveraks13

A couple of weeks ago I applied for a job at ASDA and today I have an email from them saying I have been invited to an "ASDA Magic Event" Assessment Centre or something. The official email doesn't sound too bad, but I have read more about it online (people talking about their exerperiences) and here are some quotes:

If you can't you can't and it would be better for you to look for something that would be better suited for you, something that you could succeed at and feel proud of yourself.

Why set yourself up for failure and yet another reason to never do something like that again?

Sounds like if they are interviewing this way it will be an expectation in the work you will be doing, so unfortunatly, I don't think it will just be the interview that will put you out of sorts.

If you do decide to go, could you prepare? Take these others experience and do them at home before hand. Draw a picture, make up a jingle, etc?

UnderTheBoughs

You are probably right that if they conduct interviews/assessment this way then I am most likely not right for the job and it isn't right for me.

I don't even want to think about singing a jingle in front of a whole group of strangers and the employers.

Thanks for the advice

Silatuyok

I agree, it sounds like they are doing this specifically to see if you have the personality type that is appropriate to the job. Honestly, I don't think I would go.

AsTimeBurns

I wouldn't go if it were me to be honest. it's a bloody supermarket job, who the hell gets people to sing at an interview...

Jodie-Tyler

I can totally sympathise with you 'UnderTheBoughs' , I am also desperate for a job and keep turning down interviews or simple not even applying for low key jobs like working in a cinema.
It's been nearly a year since my last job and I am seriously struggling with money, and Ive told myself that if you want money you're going to have to work in a job you hate whether you like or not. So I just find the least undesirable job and apply.
I suggest to do the same. For me, working in a cinema - talking to people - taking their tickets ect - is too much for me. But working in a clothes store isnt AS bad, its still bad, but i can live with it.

My parents told me to apply to Asda when i left school but i couldnt do it.
My advice is, look for the job that gives u the least anxiety.

A job at asda is pretty minimal, i dont think the interview process will be anything like the job role, its just something you have to fake to get the job.
Act confident and out going in the interview and then u can work in solitude stacking shelves or something.
xxx Hope all goes well. xx
Jodie

Lea

Banned
I´ve been in some similar situation before and I just said I´m not doing it and walked away. Then I was a bit sorry for throwing it away and felt like a coward, but rationally I knew it was the right decision...