Does this help?

Bexi

tell me what u think about it? from how uve asked the question u seem like it does not help??

MadCat

This forum rarely helps me, infact it makes me worse off.

But I am here to share my mental and psychological experiences with people to perhaps make them feel better.

I'm one of the really bad/serious cases on this forum and no one can really argue against that. The worse I have it, the more I can learn and the more I can perhaps help others.

So yeah, it's a sacrifice..even though I do struggle to understand and relate every time I read 90% of the posts here.

veryshy

Bexi said:
tell me what u think about it? from how uve asked the question u seem like it does not help??

All this is new to me. I dont know if it helps or not, but I notice myself feeling worse sometimes thinking that there truely is something wrong with me. Then on the other hand I think some of us get into depressions, practically WANTING to feel bad for ourselfs, myself included.

I wonder if some people here are those ones that constantly seek pity, always having an ailment, a problem or what have you and most IMPORTANTLY always trying to spotlight their problem or ailment.

I STRIVE to not be that kinda person. Infact thats what has probably kept me quiet so long.

Carina33

I sometimes do feel worse after being here. Sometimes I feel a little bit more like things just might turn out very badly for me because of what I have.

Still, it is a nice place to come because it is a place to come to to talk about some things that I couldn't really talk to anyone else about.

wutnow

veryshy said:
Then on the other hand I think some of us get into depressions, practically WANTING to feel bad for ourselfs. I STRIVE to not be that kinda person.

Good move, cause it's (self-pity) a complete waste of time. I thrived on pity highs and the tingly rush I felt in my joints when my self-centered world was falling further apart :roll: . I wasted a huge amount of time doing that.

:arrow: Take whatever bits of information/ advice you find here that you think is valid and work with it. Ignore what you believe to be crap and start/ continue fixing whatever it is that's dragging you down.

There is also alot of positive news here. Seems like a couple of times a week, someone has an epiphany or finds a method that works or them and all joy breaks loose :mrgreen:. That's the good part :lol:.

Keep trying anyway.

Jack7

I don't really like any forum, because my opinions are continually derided in any forum I post in.

blubs

Hiya Taws :)
I am in my 30s and I can understand how you might find it upsetting to think there are people older than you still struggling. I have read posts by people in their 50s and thought 'oh-my-god...will I have this forever?'
But I don't think age is the issue. It proves that social phobia can affect anyone....and also that it doesn't just 'go away' by itself very often.
But the fact is I have never researched it before...understood it before or met other people who suffer with it before. So my age is irrelevant. What is more important I think is how long you have actively been trying to improve things for yourself.
You are lucky in that you have an understanding of social phobia while you are so young. It gives you more time to work out what you want from life and how to get it.

Bexi

i like this forum as blubs sent me a real nice message after i posted a prob on here :D and i love2read what black_mamba writes, and alot of other ppl too x

Angie_05

Participating in this forum does not help me with my SA, but it helps me emotionally just knowing that there are others out there who are just like me. Sometimes someone will post something random, maybe not even about SA, and I'm like "Wow I thought I was the only one who thought about those kinds of things." The thoughts of the people here are so intelligent and insightful. I don't get to talk about those kinds of things with the people in my life. It feels good to know I'm not the only one and that I'm not weird or anything for thinking deeply sometimes.

I think this forum could be more helpful to SA if more people were willing to share their triumphs. I think there is a lot of self-pity on this website. I don't like to respond to those because in my experience, people who feel like victims don't just magically feel different after someone tries to comfort them. Usually it takes a life experience to change their point of view.

People on this forum should try to educate themselves about SA, rather than only using the information presented here. Every person is different. Different treatment methods work for different people, if at all. People are affected at different ages. Some people can overcome SA from life experiences alone, others need to actively try. Others may never find recovery.

believesomething

I was going to reply to this topic, and then read through the replies in more detail and realised Angie_05 had written my reply for me. If for some reason you didn't read her reply, scroll up and read that and you'll have read mine.

I like it when people I've never met write I what I would have! Cheers Angie_05 :)

BelieveSomething.

Carina33

What have you tried so far, ColdFury?

I have never been able to try anything more than read about it and try to do things on my own. My family doesn't want me to try a therapist or take any medication.

MadCat

Does it really matter? I'm not speaking on his/her behalf but it's obvious that the person knows more about themselves then most people do.

If a person comes up with an answer like that I think it would be pretty safe to assume they have tried alot of stuff already and found it that it's not working.

Angie_05

believesomething said:
I was going to reply to this topic, and then read through the replies in more detail and realised Angie_05 had written my reply for me. If for some reason you didn't read her reply, scroll up and read that and you'll have read mine.

I like it when people I've never met write I what I would have! Cheers Angie_05 :)

BelieveSomething.

That's why I love this forum! A few have said, "I agree with Angie"....that never happens in my life.

Thank you Believe!

Carina33

MadCat said:
Does it really matter? I'm not speaking on his/her behalf but it's obvious that the person knows more about themselves then most people do.

If a person comes up with an answer like that I think it would be pretty safe to assume they have tried alot of stuff already and found it that it's not working.

I am sorry... MadCat, if my asking that bothered you. And I am also sorry, ColdFury... maybe that was stupid of me to ask-and if I have offended you in any way, as it seems MadCat thinks I might have done- I apologize. I was only asking in my curiosity to see what things might not work so well. I guess I will do as MadCat advises and assume that you have tried a lot of stuff already and found that it's not working.

will_b

Does this forum help.....

I'm in my 50s and I have been depressed for years, but it's only recently I have figured that social phobia could be what triggers it. So I am new to all this. I get the impression it takes a long time to sort out social phobia, with a lot of re-learning in a lot of familiar situations. I think I stand a better chance of beating the whole syndrome if my efforts are directed in the right direction, and so I hope I will derive some help from more experienced people on this forum.

ColdFury

Carina33 said:
What have you tried so far, ColdFury?

I have never been able to try anything more than read about it and try to do things on my own. My family doesn't want me to try a therapist or take any medication.

Many different medications and therapies, CBT, etc, etc. No luck with anything.