Does Social Media Help?

Xervello

Just curious to any APDs that may still kick the tires around here, does social media help, hinder or have no effect on your ability to connect with people?

Speaking for myself, things like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc. (almost exclusively Twitter for me) have helped take the edge off of the isolation. But I'm not using them to actively socialize or start offline friendships. So I'm curious if they have helped any of you.

Facebook helps me keep in touch with a few people and stay more informed about their lives and vice versa. I haven't used the others (well technically I've used twitter but only with a business account and gave up on that).

For actually getting to know new people I needed forums, but hardly anyone uses them anymore.

lily

I don't know much about social media except forums. Forums really help me. They're still running but I doubt it's as popular as before. I wish it was 'cause I love how forums are designed like a community where you actually get to know each other whereas other social media that just go one after the other is not designed like a community where you can easily get to know each other. I looked up what Twitter was exactly and that sounds like a good social media. I wonder why I know no one who uses it and that includes knowing no normal people who use it. I wonder. but yeah, social media like forums help me. I find social anxiety/phobia is closely related to Avpd.

Xervello

I don't know much about social media except forums. Forums really help me. They're still running but I doubt it's as popular as before. I wish it was 'cause I love how forums are designed like a community where you actually get to know each other whereas other social media that just go one after the other is not designed like a community where you can easily get to know each other. I looked up what Twitter was exactly and that sounds like a good social media. I wonder why I know no one who uses it and that includes knowing no normal people who use it. I wonder. but yeah, social media like forums help me. I find social anxiety/phobia is closely related to Avpd.

Twitter is highly addictive and can bring out one's worst traits (negativity, bitchiness, bullying, etc.) but it's also good in that you're exposed to other people's viewpoints, pick up on things you're not ordinarily aware. The first year or so of being on it, I definitely indulged in my worst behavior, unfortunately, but then I got more comfortable with myself on there. Plus I've learned quite a bit from other people's lifestyles. Primarily vegans. Which has helped steer me that way. I mostly follow horror movie fanatics and animal rights people. Once you tune out the bad influences and follow what/who you like, it's rather fun. But still addictive.

If you ever join, let me know. I'll follow you. :)

lily

I doubt I will ever join Twitter since no one I'm related to has signed up for it or needs it. if you have to use your real name then I won't let strangers follow me but otherwise I will :) thanks for liking me. You seem like a nice person. I like being vegan. I don't have much appetite for meat, at least recently.

TheSocialPhobe

Just curious to any APDs that may still kick the tires around here, does social media help, hinder or have no effect on your ability to connect with people?

Speaking for myself, things like Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, etc. (almost exclusively Twitter for me) have helped take the edge off of the isolation. But I'm not using them to actively socialize or start offline friendships. So I'm curious if they have helped any of you.

Social Media helped me a lot. I, honestly, believe it has plenty of benefits for a person with social phobia. First of all, being anonymous. This is one of the reasons why I use applications like Snapchat, Tiktok and Instagram, due to their wide popularity and ease of use. The messages you send to eachother can be deleted, they notify you if someone takes a screenshot of the conversation, and you can send voice messages. It's a good way to rehearse and practice your speech and communication skills. I wouldn't recommend social media as a source of getting rid of loneliness cuz at the end of the day we still need face to face social contact cuz we are social creatures after all, but social media is a good venue to practice your social skills.

Social Media is for everyone, including people like us, who are for the most part recluse. I've known judgemental, close minded people who think social media is for people who are shallow and extroverted and like attention. But no, that's not true. I've met many down to earth people who also struggle with social phobia in social media. I wouldn't recommend whatsapp as it requires sharing numbers, there are many crazy people out there. I've had people online come up to me and ask for my number to chat, but I'm so glad I never shared my number, cuz these people turned out to be weird and insulting. So snap, Instagram and tiktok are what I generally recommend. Plus you can easily block weird, offensive people easily. Twitter is a bit complicated, I don't use it much.

Xervello

I doubt I will ever join Twitter since no one I'm related to has signed up for it or needs it. if you have to use your real name then I won't let strangers follow me but otherwise I will :) thanks for liking me. You seem like a nice person. I like being vegan. I don't have much appetite for meat, at least recently.

Thank you, and you seem nice, also. :)

Twitter is like most other places, you can use whatever name you want. You can give as much or as little information about yourself as you choose. It's a great way to engage in public conversations (about politics, music, sports, science, veganism, etc.) or start one up yourself. It may take awhile to build up enough followers to have them engage in your own, but if you prefer to stay anonymous or keep a low profile, it's nicer to just chime in when comfortable. You can also mute words, topics, people you find objectionable. So, for instance, if you only want to follow accounts that post cute pet pics, you can mute everything but that. Like any new thing, it takes a spell before getting accustomed. Twitter may or may not be your cup of tea but I think it's worth a try.

desery

I guess so, that social media has help me with my social anxiety. Although, I am not much into having conversation with anyone. Just by reading and knowing people's stories about success or sufferings makes me feel like I learned a lot and realized a lot of things that I never did before. People who suffers same as me makes me feel like I am not alone in the world and that someone are with me with this journey although they're far and I do not know them, and people's success especially from having anxiety to overcoming it gives me thoughts that hope is attainable, and I know if I work on it.

lily

social Media does help. Now I'm just waiting for after 2 years when I get off my benzo and other 2 medications. Then I'm set to try an adaptogen, etc.

Last edited: