Does anyone want to Join a hippie commune with me?

Worship

Hi there! I am 19 years old and I guess you could say a newly reformed robot. I live in Arizona right now but would love to get out and expand my horizons. I am looking to meet a great alternative living community that is willing to exchange labor for food and shelter. Hoping to meet new like minded people to join me on my journey. If anyone else out there is interested in taking a leap like this then let me know. I was thinking of leaving on my trip Next year in January the latest.

Peace be in you
Elizabet

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Hippie sounds.. Not what I'd prefer. But I do like the idea of scrapping the money/currency concept and a community working together to look after each other.

onehandclapping

the word hipster is actually derived from hippie, funnily enough. a lot of people that throw that word around seem to be ignorant of it's history...

in terms of commune living,I like the idea of it, not sure how i'd feel about it from an sa perspective though. I think if you're a social recluse (which I am) then it's generally not a great idea to join a community where interacting and being part of it is an obligation.

I also think I love my mod cons too much. would probably be too much of a sacrifice!

vitalis

Ecovillages and intentional communities are on the rise at the moment, but I don't think they can be labeled "hippie communes" since they are developing a much more complex approach toward lots of issues that were not that relevant at the time of the so-called hippie communes but that are now and will be in the future, and that will potentially attract lots of people that do not feel "hippie" in the strict sense of the word.

Linking SA to this topic, I can really advice towards trying to get a bit more related to local initiatives like that if they exist nearby, because I think it's a good way to escape from the negative mental loops we use to impose on us in a very healthy and open-minded way. Since the initial meetings use to take places in a group environment, people tend to be more open than the average, and you can concentrate in other things than just pure social skills (learning to grow food, crafts, arts, meeting over the average interesting people, etc), it can be a good way to meet people that can potentially alter your life course and vision (Source: personal experience).

To the OP: do you know about the WWOOF network, present in many countries? It's essentially what you described, work in exchange for shelter, food and gaining an invaluable personal experience.