Does anyone here have good self esteem and still have SA?

slimjim119

Seriously, if you have high self esteem and diagnosed SA, you need to get rechecked. Low self esteem and SA go hand in hand. Thats the whole reason you feel the bodily symptoms of anxiety.

I understand people are different, but if you find yourself having high self esteem and feeling anxious still then you may have something else. Doctor diagnoses arent accurate all the time either. Im just saying, look deeper into your problems.

You arent just weird and were chosen to have SA. Its all physiological/psychological mostly.

I understand what your saying. I realize self-esteem is a core issue with SA sufferers. I never said I had high self-esteem, I said I had good self-esteem most of the time. I have had a complete physical with blood tests and everything checked out ok. Its all psychological with me.

JA2007

It's not logical to say that someone with high self esteem can't be SA. SA is a preoccupation of how others perceive us, not of how we perceive ourselves. Also, fear is a psychological and physiological response, that is often learned during the early stages of life. Fear is automatic and usually develops during the dependent stages of life. The brain can become wired to automatically fear certain things. Just because we develop a positive self-image, doesn't mean our brain stops having automatic fear responses.

May be true, but higher self esteem improves SA. Why do you feel inferior anyways? Its feeling lowly of yourself, so self esteem plays a HUGE role in SA. If you are having high self esteem and still SA then theres a different problem there. You certainly wouldnt have as severe SA with high self esteem. You may just have a phobia, associated with a place or situation, or may have something else all together.

How can that be the same thing? Some sufferers cant even leave their house while other hold down jobs and relationships. SA is a severe disorder, it disrupts lives.

JA2007

May be true, but higher self esteem improves SA. Why do you feel inferior anyways? Its feeling lowly of yourself, so self esteem plays a HUGE role in SA. If you are having high self esteem and still SA then theres a different problem there. You certainly wouldnt have as severe SA with high self esteem. You may just have a phobia, associated with a place or situation, or may have something else all together.

How can that be the same thing? Some sufferers cant even leave their house while other hold down jobs and relationships. SA is a severe disorder, it disrupts lives.

SA doesn't mean you feel inferior, it's not wanting other people to think you are inferior. SA and self-esteem are randomly related. I think there are SP's with low and high self esteem and everywhere in between. And there are non-SP's with low and high self esteem.

SA is a phobia. Many phobias are irrational and automatic. It's the same as a phobia of snakes, no different except it has a larger effect because social interaction is everywhere. Some people have such and deep automatic fear of social interaction that it is very debilitating. Do people with snake phobias in general have lower self-esteem than people who apparently have none?

I know it disrupts lives. I've been living with it, according to my mom, since I was a baby.

I think if my self-esteem was truly really bad, I wouldn't care about people's negative judgment of me because I would just agree with them. It would be easier to agree with people all day than to try to prove to them with my silence that I will never say the wrong thing.