Does anyone go to the Job Centre?

Squishy

If you do how long have you and how do you put up with it?

I'd be happy just volunteering but I need the money so I have to go and I keep getting sent to places :( and rejected by loads of jobs because there aren't many for people with no experience.

I'd be happy just volunteering but I need the money so I have to go and I keep getting sent to places :( and rejected by loads of jobs because there aren't many for people with no experience.

Volunteering = getting experience, so maybe fit in volunteering somewhere? My current work started with volunteering.
:)

Squishy

Volunteering = getting experience, so maybe fit in volunteering somewhere? My current work started with volunteering.
:)

I've done some volunteering, and I plan to volunteer in a charity shop some time soon. I'm also starting a degree with the Open Uni so I'm not even bothered with a job because Volunteering can give me enough experience.
And I'm so fed up with them making me apply for jobs I can't do and 40 hours a week ones which I can't fit in whilst studying at the same time. I also find it extremely embarrassing having to go to the job centre :( especially when all my friends are at University.

They are not exactly the most understanding and compassionate people towards customers who suffer from mental illness

Most of them are just like brainwashed robots

Feathers

My sister enjoyed going to a 'Job club', it was run by a different organisation/company though, and the people were very friendly, there was a 'course' for people to learn to write their CVs etc, it was slightly different than over there perhaps..

I was always embarassed to go to the 'official' gov 'job center'... And didn't tell them much anyway.. I now think they need a totally different system there too.. They kept offering me jobs I didn't want and such, I never asked to talk to someone about more interesting jobs or career/moneymaking opportunities though either.. (wasn't sure if they knew much, it might be worth a try, they do offer self-employment or small biz counselling these days too, I think..)

I had odd experiences there even if I didn't tell'em anything, lol! :)

I've heard other people complain about job centers in UK too.. One wonders what sort of people work there.. Maybe it would be worth to try getting a job there? :D

Squishy, do write everything on your CV, even your informal and volunteering experience!!
I was kinda perplexed about what to write and then looked at some websites and they said to write everything that might be interesting to the company/organisation hiring you!!

Also, if you are into eco projects or anything else that is interesting, you might invite the company hiring you (at the end of the interview) to take part in any of your non-profit's activities, or sponsor/donate, or whatever! :D The non-profit will love you even more, and you at least can take some advantage of this?
(I did ask for something like this at the end of an interview lol, not for money, just to take part in something, volunteer-wise, and they said to send them info! :))

Last edited:
My sister enjoyed going to a 'Job club', it was run by a different organisation/company though, and the people were very friendly, there was a 'course' for people to learn to write their CVs etc, it was slightly different than over there perhaps..

I was always embarassed to go to the 'official' gov 'job center'... And didn't tell them much anyway.. I now think they need a totally different system there too.. They kept offering me jobs I didn't want and such, I never asked to talk to someone about more interesting jobs or career/moneymaking opportunities though either.. (wasn't sure if they knew much, it might be worth a try, they do offer self-employment or small biz counselling these days too, I think..)

I had odd experiences there even if I didn't tell'em anything, lol! :)

I've heard other people complain about job centers in UK too.. One wonders what sort of people work there.. Maybe it would be worth to try getting a job there? :D

My local Job Centre as i said's staff seem to consit of 95% Robotic,Uncaring,Emotionaless Staff.

Feathers

Nope Not as far as im aware!

Can you go see a social worker who could help you? Careers Scotland - Social Worker - Mental Health

Have you talked to these people yet? SAMH is the Scottish Association for Mental Health - Our Work
You can call them here: SAMH is the Scottish Association for Mental Health - Information Service
I'm expecting they could be more helpful and tell you more about your options etc?
Also ask if there are any social economy businesses or projects you could be part of? (Like some charity shops or reuse centers pay their workers too..)

Danfalc

Banned

I use to go when I was on JSA.I had to go for about a year.I still had to go down and drop off doctors notes when I first claimed income support.

I hated it,they were the least understanding people I have ever met.Despite knowing about my issues they would try and get me to attend jobs that were not suitable at all.They left me without any money for 7 months too once when I was homeless because they made an error on my claim.

Thankfully I don't have to have much contact with them anymore.I know some people abuse the system,but the system also abuses people in this case.Each center should have someone who's job is to deal with people with problems or special needs,the one at mine is a lot more understanding than the other staff.Maybe worth you looking into.

I think you can still do volunteer work as long as it's under a certain amount of hours.

Feathers

I've done some volunteering, and I plan to volunteer in a charity shop some time soon. I'm also starting a degree with the Open Uni so I'm not even bothered with a job because Volunteering can give me enough experience.
And I'm so fed up with them making me apply for jobs I can't do and 40 hours a week ones which I can't fit in whilst studying at the same time. I also find it extremely embarrassing having to go to the job centre :( especially when all my friends are at University.
Do they know you are planning to study? It may depend on the individual person, if they bug you to apply for jobs or not.. Maybe you can ask around and get someone else?
Also, do the friends need to know? I was deeply embarassed about it once, and then a few years later my friends said they didn't even know - they thought I had so much savings to live from! (my Mom made me apply, sigh)

Can you go see a social worker who could help you? Careers Scotland - Social Worker - Mental Health

Have you talked to these people yet? SAMH is the Scottish Association for Mental Health - Our Work
You can call them here: SAMH is the Scottish Association for Mental Health - Information Service
I'm expecting they could be more helpful and tell you more about your options etc?
Also ask if there are any social economy businesses or projects you could be part of? (Like some charity shops or reuse centers pay their workers too..)

I remember when i first got put off Incapcity benefit and i was sitting across from my Adviser in the job centre trying to sort out my job seekers agreement and i tried to tell him about my mental health issues and all he said coldly said was"you have to meet the crieteria to recieve JSA"