Does anyone feel like...

Does anyone feel like they have trouble knowing what to do with their hands, or how to stand, etc. when with people you don't know or aren't THAT close with? I'm only really comfortable with a couple of close friends, my roommate and guys. Maybe I feel like other girls will be more judgemental? I can't dance and if I'm at a show I just try to appear as relaxed as possible. I do enjoy myself but I'm always thinking...how do I appear to others?

Interzone

Yeah all the time. And the more I think about it the weirder I think it looks to others but I can't help but think about it. Heh.

Definitely know what your trying to say.

lyricalliaisons

I guess I'm that way most of the time. I know I come across as odd to people because I've even had people say things to me before about how I walk & how I stand.

206Raider

Yep I know this feeling around crowds your not comfortable with, even sitting in the car I start thinking about how I look or if I look uncomfortable or what I should be doing with my hands. I felt awkward running but yesterday I forced myself to run around the neighborhood and it wasn't as bad as I thought.

Some_guy

I used to, a long time ago. Now I just don't think about it anymore.

There's no secret to it: you've got to drive attention away from those things. The more you focus on it, the more you're gonna fuel the habit of monitoring your every body movement.

Oh I know this feeling all too well. I don't want to cross my arms across my chest because I feel like that comes off as stand-offish. I don't want to put my hands on my hips because I feel like an idiot when I do that. I don't want to touch the other person because I don't feel comfortable doing that--I wouldn't want them touching me! I don't want to just let my arms hang because I feel like I look stupid--like a neanderthal. I tend to wear sweaters with pockets so that I can stick my hands in there as I walk so that I don't have to worry if I look stupider swinging my arms or holding them still. When I talk to people I put my hands behind my back, partly because I don't know what else to do with them and partly to hide the fact that I'm literally wringing them!