Does anyone else have no problem talking to strangers but afraid of getting close

Marund

I have this stupid deal where I cant talk to strangers easily but getting close to them is rare. The people I do get close to disapeared eventually and the rest sort of reject me or something.. Forwhatever reason. The thing with people who leave is I Dont know if its because of me or because of being busy. They honestly were busy but wtf..

Anyway I just eventually give up getting close to people. I cant relax... Small talk can go in interesting places but its like it never becomes something i pursue

Introv

I have no problem engaging in and even initiating small talk with someone I'll only see once. At work, for instance, when I used to work with a partner (we don't work in pairs anymore, thank god) I'd become afraid that they would think I was a boring person after three or four times of working together. This was mostly because I had trouble keeping up a conversation about most of the things they'd want to talk about (video games, parties, movies I haven't seen). However, I can easily chat with a truck driver about the weather or sports while I unload his trailer because it's the only time I'll ever see him. I'm not anxious because I'll never have to worry about him thinking I'm a boring person, like I used to with co-workers. I'm not with him for 4+ hours on three or more occasions.

Marletta

At least you can get to the small talk. I freeze up at hello. I am so afraid of getting hurt and rejected that I cannot bear to make friends. I just had a old co-worker get pissed off at me for something I said she totally took the wrong way and now she won't talk to me. We usually chatted through instant messaging and now nothing. What she did say was that she would like to be spoken to in a civilized tone... how she can get any tone from text is really beyond me but ok. I have no idea what's wrong. I sent her one last email to get some answers but I doubt I will get anything. Given that she is 10 + years younger than I am, she is probably too immature to discuss whatever it is logically and calmly. So, I lose another potential friend.

Emily_G

I don't really care about stuttering in front of strangers....but I care a lot about doing it in front of ppl I know. I think cause I don't care what strangers think, but I care about what people I know thing.

I freak out when a person im around but have never talked to before says something to me like a classmate i can make some small talk but its everything i can do not to just run off and panic .

Marund

At least you can get to the small talk. I freeze up at hello. I am so afraid of getting hurt and rejected that I cannot bear to make friends. I just had a old co-worker get pissed off at me for something I said she totally took the wrong way and now she won't talk to me. We usually chatted through instant messaging and now nothing. What she did say was that she would like to be spoken to in a civilized tone... how she can get any tone from text is really beyond me but ok. I have no idea what's wrong. I sent her one last email to get some answers but I doubt I will get anything. Given that she is 10 + years younger than I am, she is probably too immature to discuss whatever it is logically and calmly. So, I lose another potential friend.

Thats pretty amazing though making a friend through messaging while at work. Use that more often to your advantage? I lost a friend recently too I think : ( Your not alone

Last edited:

Fighter86

People show their true colors and let you down when you start to trust them on a close level.

Not all are like that, but it did happen to me, I put alot of trust in an ex-colleague, but in the end, he let me down completely. I'm just glad I didn't trust him with all my secrets.