Does anyone else fear going to the hair cutters?

ChrisAtHome

I either got to let it grow long or I will use my paper scissors to cut my hair (I did it before and it turn out ok I think). Does anyone else have this anxiety where you wont/cant go to the barber or hairstylist?

[/b]

villacjs

I always get nervous when going to the barber. I get my haircut probably once every 3 months, I'm 22 but eventhough I've done it numerous times I still get the nerves. My advice is to go to a barber and get your head shaved, not all off, but like a blade 2 or 3. You won't be in there long, so you will feel less anxiety as you won't need to start a conversation or anything like that.

theblank

I've had many a bad haircut in my day so I definitely get anxious every time before I get one. I'll procrastinate and put it off until I just can't stand it anymore. When I used to keep my hair long they almost always cut too much off and I'd feel embarrassed for weeks. Now that I'm getting it cut short, I usually request a 3 and this seems to work good. It's hard to mess that one up, but some still manage to do so by cutting it even shorter than I requested into a military style. I hate that. My hair grows back fairly quickly and I get over it a lot faster than I used to, but just the thought of getting a haircut makes me anxious.

faithnomore

Banned
ChrisAtHome said:
I either got to let it grow long or I will use my paper scissors to cut my hair (I did it before and it turn out ok I think). Does anyone else have this anxiety where you wont/cant go to the barber or hairstylist?

[/b]

Yeah, because of all the young women that work there!

ripewithdecay

Yeah I hate going to the barber, the doctor, the dentist, etc.
Anything where you have to sit and wait in a room with people for hours.

I'm not sure if it's social anxiety related or not.. probably, because the woman cutting your hair usually starts up a conversation.
Plus in the mirrors all around you you can see people sometimes staring at your hair. It can be embarassing when half your head is shaved and the rest is a thick mane just hanging there on the side of your head.

miniheli

Defiantly can identify. My hair is wicked long right now. Im almost 19 and still rely on my dad to come with me to get a haircut. I hate it, I always feel like everyone expects me to say something. Jeeezzz and its alot worst when the person cutting your hair is amazingly beautiful... :oops:

Idioteque

I've been putting of going for a while now... I think it's just having to sit there and have someone come into such close contact and observe me. I'm no good at their idle chit chat either :/

Richey

i need to get me one of those robot hairdresses like a barberbot.

it gets easier with practice, i always find the chit chat to be easy because they are usually relaxed and friendly at the trendy salons anyway, you spend a little extra but you get a neat cut and they style it properly ..

it takes a bit of motivation and will to just walk in though if you're having an off day

Edith

I can't stand it!

My hair is waaay too long right now... another month or so and I'll be sitting on it.

I just hate the forced conversation and the things they say about my hair, "Is this your natural colour?" "Do you condition a lot?" "It's so thick!" "You have such pretty hair... why do you want to cut it off?" I mean, hair isn't really an interesting topic to begin with.... so when that inevitably gets old, "Um... where do you go to school...?" "Where do you work?" or, the worst! "So what do you do for fun?" or "Tell me about your boyfriend!" um... presumptuous!

I either end up saying nothing, or talking and talking and talking and making an ass out of myself.

I always end up with an ugly haircut and wear a hat or scarf until it grows back anyway...

But I'll need to cut it soon... it starting to weigh a ton and my neck is getting sore...

cavegirl

Yes! I have a mophead right now because I'm too afraid to go.

I once got my hair cut and was sweating so much - the woman cutting my hair put her scissors down at one point and said "Now, I thought ladies weren't supposed to sweat!"

When I do make it into the salon, I have the person washing my hair wash it in REALLY cold water and I always bring a cold, cold can of soda to hold in my hand. I also try to keep as much of the plastic smock off me so that my body can breathe.

I too have had this problem... at its worst, I put off getting it cut for around 15 months because the last one had been so traumatizing. At least it happened in the winter where I could wear a hoodie without looking too weird.

But finally I got it cut, I found a hair style that I think works for me and a stylist who knows what she's doing (even though it is pretty expensive). That was in June, it's getting about time to cut it again. I can't say I'm not nervous, but I feel a lot better about it this time, and I probably won't end up putting it off for a year again.

LostViking

I went to get it cut about uh.. 2 years ago, so it's fairly long now. I have no idea how I want it to look either.

chris87

I go to the same hairdresser every time, so that part isn't too stressful. What I don't like is walking in when there are people sitting there waiting. That makes me so uncomfortable! I guess I feel like they will start staring at me.

I went to get one last friday (finally) because I was waaaaaay overdue I was just too scared but my hair looked horrible so I went and it wasn't that bad at all

JonnyD

Omg! actually i thought i was the only one...
i cut my hair regulary, but in the same barber since i'm born - its 20 years!

jordo

eww i wouldnt want strangers touching my hair. i did try it one time just to try it out. then the dude started with the small talk and i was like please get me out of here...never again. thank god for flowbee lol so i do my own hair 8O.