Does anybody else hide their shyness?

I kinda wonder if I'm the only one, I've read lots of messages and a lot of people seem to act shy because they are shy, does anyone feel shy but act confident? I do, if lads yell stuff at me in college and make daft remarks, I play up to it, I sarcastically flirt. I go to parties and I play twister (and win lol, flexible), I'm really quite popular but I feel so shy and no-one really knows.

I had agoraphobia from the age of 14 - 16, and I've only just started getting over it really (I'm 18 now) it wasn't all that long ago that I was having panic attacks pretty much all the time. But everyone thinks I'm confident, my boyfriend told me that when he met me (two years ago) he thought I was very confident! And at that time I was a complete nervous wreck.

Anyone else like this?

Naomi x

Chilling__Echo

hm, i don't really go to parties and such but i do try to speak up at times just because otherwise i get the whole "you're so quiet" shit. matteroffact, at work right now it's almost as if i'm being picked on for not saying anything much (i'm new). these two ladies keep coming up to me and asking me "you doin ok?" or "smile!" or "what do you think" in a conversation with a smirk and laugh. i dunno, but it doesn' bother me.

so at school i try and say as much as i can when in a social situation with my friends. or at school if i know i'm gonna have to be in a seminar or something i try and speak up so it's not so dramatic when *omg the silent girl is talking!!* ever notice that happens?

Angie_05

I hide my shyness also. I am embarrassd of my SA. I think if someone met me they wouldn't know that I have it. Pretending to be normal is my way of coping in this world, but the struggle inside is so hard.

Hellraising

I used to do that when I did go out. I made the image that I was really confident and I had it all. I pulled it off, it seemed to work, everyone around me believed it. It was a really tiring thing to do. I had to be concious of my every move, even my eyes. I could never relax when I was outside, subconcious movements became councoius ones which I constantly kept trying to control. I'd come home exhausted and rest for a period of time before going out again. These 'resting periods' began to last longer and longer each time. And now, I've been 'resting' for 9 months.

I hope this helps you in whatever way it's supposed to help.

Lol at resting periods, I know those too well. Sometimes it just seems way too hard to go out and face people, the duvet makes such a better companion lol.

Sue

i hate showing people that im afraid. even if im screamimg inside.it makes me feel more small.

Remus

Staff member
I hide behind the mask of a clown, but like all clowns, there's tears inside

cant keep it up for too long though as its exhaisting trying to hide shyness

IcanDoIt

yeah..

its a liability..

i used to act like i do not like the person just to cover up that shyness..