Do You Tell Other People You Get Panic Attacks?

Claudius

I have always tried to cover up from family and friends when I have panic attacks and anxiety, and have got very good at this. I have recently begun to think that this makes the symptoms worse. Do you think it makes it easier if you share how you feel with other?

AimeeSP

For me yes, it does help if i share it. :) Sometimes it depends who with though. I find that if i'm meeting someone new i have to let them know i'm quite a nervous person otherwise i'd be worrying they'd think i'm weird if i start having a panic attack. And i've always had a positive reaction from them, telling me it's okay and no worries if i panic, and it does lessen my anxiety around them. Hope this helps. :)

Hellhound

Super Moderator
At my school I had to tell my teacher about my anxiety issues and phobias, because there's some things i can't do, and he didn't understand why. I thought it was better to tell him the truth rather than making up excuses that would lead me nowhere. Fortunately, his wife is troubled too, so he understood. My friends know too... but my family don't know fully. I haven't told them many things because they don't understand, they would probably laugh at me and treat me like a liar or a psycho.

No one seems to understad or believe that I have SA. Even if they do they don't see it as a big deal..I've learned to keep it to myself because I could go off on a rant explaining my problems and the severity of each one but not a single person will truly know how I feel..doesn't bother me though some wounds are too deep to explain.

santasuit

I'd say it definitely helps to share with others. Panic attacks are so common due to modern life - you'd probably be surprised at how many people do suffer from them.

I've experienced panic attacks and I found one of the most helpful things was to confide in people - your family and friends are there to support you. Seeking medical advice also lifted a weight from my shoulders.

Hope this helps
Helen
panicattackmanagement.net

mrb

yes my mates know my family know , iv even told my dog , the dog just looked at me as if to say really wow humans get sa as well , so its not just us dogs then , i looked at him back as if to say really dogs get sa ? he looked back as if to say yes dogs have it as well , i looked back at him as if to say awww come here boy and give me a cuddle , he looked back at me as if to say whatever human , just fill my food bowl :eek::mad::D

TheStatue

Well, I got one in class recently so I told the guy next to me when he asked what was up with me.

saint

I have always tried to cover up from family and friends when I have panic attacks and anxiety, and have got very good at this. I have recently begun to think that this makes the symptoms worse. Do you think it makes it easier if you share how you feel with other?

for me it was impossible to cover up, and yes it is difficult to tell friends and family because its not like a broken leg that people can see and assosciate with. most people dont understand or even heard of panic attacks and anxiety. my family have been surportive, luckily i dont have eny friends to tell.

T

Tilly

Yes, Sweet.Its better to tell someone if you are having one, It'll be much easier than trying to control it all on your own.I do tell my parents if I am having one, But they usually know the signs of me having one like heavy breathing.:)
Hope I helped.Tills.