do you get anxious before or during social situations?

ff5fan19

I so anxious before being in a social situation because I have no idea what would happen. like I'm afraid I won't have anything to say to someone/a stranger like always or I'm afraid the person won't answer me or just ignore me. when I'm in the situation I find that I'm more calm and at ease then what I was before. I guess it's because the things I fear the most doesn't really happen except not having any social skills or not knowing what to say.

slimjim119

I usually get more anxious before any social situation. That's why I like to keep busy in some way and not sit around and think about things too much. The anticipation can really get to me.

Once I'm in the situation, I tend to calm down. It's the anticipation part that really gets me. I've always been like that. What we fear the most is the unknown.

AtTheGates

Banned
I have a certain way of looking at social situations. Here's some things that really help me with anxiety:

1.Anyone that gives me a hard time about anything can just **** off.

2.Anyone who tries to put me down/ make me feel bad about myself can just **** off.

3.Anyone that speaks poorly of me behind my back can go ahead and **** the **** off.

4.Anyone who enjoys making people uncomfortable and/or seeing people squirm can just politely **** off and then hang themselves.

5.overly judgemental people who never give anyone the benefit of the doubt can **** off and then go **** themselves.

6. Anyone who looks down their nose at me can just go ahead and die immediately, please.

.......Im not good at making friends.

Last edited:

Sacrament

It's easier to become anxious with anticipation. When you're there, you're so busy collecting all the information around you that there's less time to let your mind do its thing and ruin everything. If you learn how to tame your own mind when those thoughts arrive (not by trying not to have those thoughts, but by acknowledging them as scary images and sounds that don't necessarily have to be reality unless you allow them to make it so), you'll find that everything ends up being much better/easier than you thought.

RachB

I usually get more anxious before any social situation. That's why I like to keep busy in some way and not sit around and think about things too much. The anticipation can really get to me.

Once I'm in the situation, I tend to calm down. It's the anticipation part that really gets me. I've always been like that. What we fear the most is the unknown.

This is how it is for me. The anticipation always gets me. An example, I recently went for my driving test a few days ago. I had to book it 2 weeks in advance. That whole 2 weeks, I had so much anxiety. It was freaking me out, stressing me out so much that I wanted to cancel the booking even though that meant me losing $52 AU. I didn't care. My partner pushed me and in the end, I did it and I was 100% fine during the driving test and I ended up and passing it.

slimjim119

This is how it is for me. The anticipation always gets me. An example, I recently went for my driving test a few days ago. I had to book it 2 weeks in advance. That whole 2 weeks, I had so much anxiety. It was freaking me out, stressing me out so much that I wanted to cancel the booking even though that meant me losing $52 AU. I didn't care. My partner pushed me and in the end, I did it and I was 100% fine during the driving test and I ended up and passing it.

I can definitely relate. I failed my road test twice before I passed. I think my anxiety got the better of me those days. I don't like to think that far ahead about things that will get me nervous.

RachB

I can definitely relate. I failed my road test twice before I passed. I think my anxiety got the better of me those days. I don't like to think that far ahead about things that will get me nervous.

It sucks that anxiety got in the way of you passing but I'm happy for you that you passed!! :) My worst fear was that I'd fail and have to do it all over again, and deal with another 2 weeks lead up of anxiety. That's good that you don't think about things that far ahead. Unfortunately same can't be said about me :(

chibiXphantom

i get pretty nervous before a social event, but usually relax once i'm there and settled in. however when it's time to leave, i get nervous. i need to work on how to leave a social situation without being extremely awkward

ff5fan19

yeah I try to play my guitar or do something to get my mind off it. lol I always fear the worst before any situation

Halym

Banned
I usually get anxious before a social situation.. I usually stay that way until the social situation is over.. I also get stomach aches when I get anxious.. It's kinda weird..

very_shy

Before and also after, during I think rarely. Before and after because I am overthinking what will be and later how it was, if I behaved well, what did i say, what I could, etc.
And usually this, overanalyzing, leads me to avoid social occasions.

Requiescat

I get very much more anxious before, not as much during. Lots of visualization and mental preparation has helped listen the anxiety to a significant extent now, it gives me something else to focus my mind and energy on. But these days I feel so lifeless I don't have the energy to feel as much dread, subsequently I don't feel very much motivation to communicate. So that's played a role in lessening the anxiety both before and during a dreaded social occasion.