Do you feel offended when people give you comments like timid and shy?

There was once a teacher gave me this comment when he first saw me. He said I looked shy and timid. Then he asked my seniors who sat near to me and they all agreed that I was shy and timid. They think I'm the quiet one because I seldom talk. The truth is I only become talkative in front of my close friends. I don't know why but I just hate people give this kind of remarks.

Requiescat

Those that make those comments don't realise the pressure it can place in a person. Having your weakness exposed and discussed so candidly right before your eyes, most often in an environment which you find particularly stressful us not exactly a pleasant experience. I was told many times that I was quiet, but it was the comment that I showed signs of nerves which made me even more self-conscious and uncomfortable in my own skin. Really annoyed me in fact, I didn't care for or ask for her little insight. I have tried my luck and called someone who critiqued me as being recklessly outspoken, they shattered like glass! Yes, the more outspoken and hyper extrovert they are the bigger the glass jaw in my experiences, lol.

TheNomad

Definitely. I am not a very talkative person, often I can't find much to say in a conversation, and people say I am shy. I guess I am sometimes but the reason I don't talk is nothing comes to my mind, even if I want conversation.

Sometimes the person doesn't mean bad but even so it annoys me. If I really don't like the person or I feel he is really criticising me with a bad intent, I say I don't talk because you do not interest me. Maybe it seems a bit rude and arrogant but that's exactly what they are. I don't like having my so-called flaws being thrown at my face.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Kinda. Though, if anything, it just makes me really self-conscious about the fact I'm quite an introverted person whenever someone point out that I'm shy and quiet. :eek:mg:

Definitely. I am not a very talkative person, often I can't find much to say in a conversation, and people say I am shy. I guess I am sometimes but the reason I don't talk is nothing comes to my mind, even if I want conversation.

Yep, same with me... :bigsmile:

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
I definitely agree it can make you uncomfortable. I don't like people making comments to others openly about me.

I tend to go on the offensive and would say something like 'I think you're rude, dim witted, certainly lacking insight and egotistical. Yes, definitely egotistical. Does anyone else think this of Mr/Mrs *insert teachers name here*?'.

I make sure I let people know their behavior isn't appreciated.

Niche23

Yeah that's the worst when that happens, it makes me feel like I'm a child and I tend to freeze up.

PhillipJFry

I don't talk much because people would realize how stupid I am. So for me it's not so terrible being called shy or timid, it's better than the alternative.

Well yeah, because it's rude. Especially when called timid or nervous or anything similar.

Turning to a group of people for their opinion about a person in front of them - especially a negative opinion - is incredibly rude and demeaning. It's happened to me too.

Maura

I feel you, isn't nice. Sometimes I feel excluded, most of the people tend to underestimate me. I'm okay with being introvert and quiet but it's so frustrating those remarks. 'The quiet' 'The boring'.

If I tell him 'The annoying' it would sound like and offense.

It's wrong that some people are insensitive about it, they don't know it's rude.

Sacrament

If someone calls me shy I'll just say "yeah, maybe at first. I get more social when I'm more comfortable with the person/people around me". You're only making it worse for yourself if you get pissy over it.

Predacon

Yeah, I've had people say stuff like that, it kind of bugs me, I know I'm quiet I don't need you pointing it out thanks.