Do you feel like medicine really helps your SA?

Kitana

All my life, my parents kept putting me on pills. First, I was on Ritilin for ADD/ADHD. Mom didn't get the results in me she was hoping for, so she kept taking me back to change doses and try different meds. Zoloph, Aderall, and several Anti-Depressents, even tho I told the therapist time and time agian I was NOT depressed. They even put me on a 1/2 dose of a sleeping pill called Cymbalta? to "calm" me during the school day. I felt betrayed that nobody would listen to how I felt, only how my parents SAID I felt. It was very degrading, and made me feel like much less of a person. All of this took place between the ages of 6 and 18. I finally got relief when I turned 18 because I lost my mothers insurance and they couldn't afford my meds anymore. I've been "drug-free" for about 5 years now and I've never felt better. I'm actually calmer and quieter now than ever before.

Now, thats my back story.. so you understand where I'm coming from when I say I HATE DRUGS. I won't even take tylenol for a headache anymore. I'll tough it out. However, I do take cough syrup when I'm sick.

My mother was recently diagnosed with SA and (of course) she opted for drugs. I'm not sure what the names are, but she has a couple and she's been nagging for me to try them to see if they work for me and my SA.

I'm sure you can understand why I'm more than hesitant to do so.. so I'm wondering, do any of you truely believe your SA has gotten better since you started taking medicine? What meds do you take? Did you have to try out many different kinds before you found what works for you? If so, how long did it take?

Also, if you WERE on meds and stopped. Do you feel better or wose than when you were on them? All opinions appreciated. Thank you very much!!

harlseq

I was on adderall for a while and I felt as though it really helped me in pretty much all aspects of my life. I felt more comfortable around people, did better in school, got more done, and had a better outlook on life all together. That said, I don't think it was the entire answer to my SA, but it certainly helped me with the other parts of my life which in turn gave me some degree of confidence and communication with my peers that I completely lack now.

agoraphobickatie

i take meds for depression/anxiety and i have plenty of reasons to be down and sorry for myself, but i'm generally optimistic and happy... sooo, i guess they help? ha.. it's either my medication or i'm just kickass at having faith and hope... hmmmm