Do you ever have one of those days...

SAteacher

...when you just hate everything about your life, the sun outside is shining - inviting you to come outside in all the beauty the world has to offer, when what you really want is for it to rain so you can continue self loathing?

Well, the sun is shining where I am, I'm all alone in a new city where I do not have any friends apart from my colleagues who are 30 years older than me and of course I have social anxiety so getting new friends is not exactely easy. Facebook keeps reminding me of alle the great lives everyone else seems to have. They have friends, they have partners, they have kids and they love to gloat about these things. So I'm stuck in a small apartment making my own dinner of frozen meatballs just wishing it would all go away. I think I need a drink...

How's your day?

outofthisworld

that happens to me often, usually during the weekends when i got no friends in real life and everyone around me have a life... best thing to do is try doing things you like.. watch a movie, tv series, play some games... because if you start to think how awesome all the ppl on facebook are you are going to get more depressed about the situation.. well sometimes that works for me.. but not always.

MikeyC

my colleagues who are 30 years older than me
I've met some really cool older people. Are your colleagues not approachable? Can you talk to them? Maybe you won't get them to hang out with you after work, but having them as good friends at work can lighten the emotional load you may feel while working.

Facebook keeps reminding me of alle the great lives everyone else seems to have. They have friends, they have partners, they have kids and they love to gloat about these things.
Let me tell you about these Facebook updates: You are getting the absolute best side of people. You may see a Facebook update like, "chillin with friends!!! #lifeisgood" accompanied by a photo of that person and lots of other people, but what you're not seeing are the arguments they have, the lull in conversation, the drunken antics, the awful cab ride to the venue, the terrible food they've eaten, and so on and so on. While that person probably did have a good time out, they're portraying that every single moment was cherished, and odds are they're not.

Furthermore, people are not going to update their Facebook status with comments such as, "I cheated on my girlfriend today," or, "I have fungus growing on a private part of my body." People will only share stuff that puts them in a good light. That's the nature of social media.

So, long story short, don't base their entire lives on one social event. All people go through tragedies, heartaches, pressures, and stresses just like the rest of us do. :)

vitalis

Well, the first step is getting rid of the Facebook habit if it upsets you. That simple. I know how it feels, and it's a negative loop. As they say, people's lives are not as interesting as you imagine them, but the habit of thinking so doesn't really help, because it reinforces your fear of people and can increase your cynicism, because let's face it, you'd like to be like they show they are. Instead, the approach here is that you should simply reduce your exposure to it until you gain a bit more confidence and it doesn't bother you that much.

Then, when the day is great and the sun shines, but have no friend or colleague to get out, I found out that leaving home to some nearby park (if a city dweller) or the woods (if rural) to read some book, for example, or work on something with the laptop or else, even if you are in a corner alone and kind of hiding, can really raise your spirit quite a bit.

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
Facebook ...ugh..
'i have just brushed my teeth..'update; i have just had a glass of water'..

Just remember too, everyone wears a mask. a social mask.
we all have skeletons in our closets.