do you cry at the psychiatrist's?

thelostworld

i made an appointment with a psychiatrist in like 2 weeks, and i fucking dont want to go. i've been to 2 psychologists and i hated their condescending, smug attitudes. everytime i talk about myself and my problems, I stary crying, it's like a reflex. i feel so embarrassed...does anyone else do this?

GettingThere

Something you should know about Psychiatrists (not pschologists) is that a very high number of them have big emotional problems themselves.
I'm not just airing an opinion here either because studies have consistently shown their occupation to have the highest suicide rates of all.
I think that maybe its because they question themselves because of what they either know or see.

Anyway, the point I want to make is that you should not feel overwhelmed or embarassed in revealing your deep dark secrets to them because they probably have their own problems. Besides, it is their job to treat people like us and your case is probably chicken feed compared with some of the cases that they deal with.

Hope that makes sense.

Fighter86

Well, I have been to only 1 psychiatrist & I hated the way she looked at me when I told her my problems. It was my 1st visit and I cried as I told here why I was there to see her :oops: . I thought she looked sort of amused!!!

The 2nd time I saw her, she was not really helpful or anything.

& well for the third visit (which I had to wait weeks for), she actually didin't turn up coz 'she had somthing to attend to'!! I thought it was quite terrible. Thank God I was later refered to this clinical pschologist who was MUCH better..

Anyway, the strange thing was I had to see the psychiatrist again recently for some medication & she seemed so different, I mean she was like all nice & understanding...go figure :roll:

rachel

Banned
i've seen this guy psychiatrist for like ayr and a half and he's shit. the first time i saw him i cried cause it hurt a lot talking about feelings and stuff, adn also cause i was embarassed about being so open, so i let it rip.
i stopped seeing him after no real improvemnt. the uni counsellor im seeing now is much better, i guess cause she's younger and a woman so i can relate more, and she reassures me and stuff, but i still cried the first time i saw her..that's just me. in both times when i cried, they just understandingly pass the tissue box, i think they get a lot of crying, so don't worry. an interesting thing though i observed from both is that when they wanna yawn, they just take a deep breath adn their face look like they just smelled somethin bad...is it a mutual defense against yawning at boring patients i wonder?

rachel

Banned
i've seen this guy psychiatrist for like ayr and a half and he's shit. the first time i saw him i cried cause it hurt a lot talking about feelings and stuff, adn also cause i was embarassed about being so open, so i let it rip.
i stopped seeing him after no real improvemnt. the uni counsellor im seeing now is much better, i guess cause she's younger and a woman so i can relate more, and she reassures me and stuff, but i still cried the first time i saw her..that's just me. in both times when i cried, they just understandingly pass the tissue box, i think they get a lot of crying, so don't worry. an interesting thing though i observed from both is that when they wanna yawn, they just take a deep breath adn their face look like they just smelled somethin bad...is it a mutual defense against yawning at boring patients i wonder?

Crimefish

I only saw a psychiatrist for one session. Now I'm seeing a psychologist regularly, and no I don't cry because my sessions aren't confidential. He's allowed to tell my parents anything and everything.

despise

i've never seen a psychiatrist. but i have seen a psychologist twice. and i cried in both sessions, mainly because in the first session i didnt open up as much as i should have, so in the second one i told her alot more.
i cried in a meeting with my school co-ordinator once, in front of my parents too. now that was embarrassing!! we had a meeting because i refussed to do presentations and speeches. i didn't mean to cry but my dad brought up the story about me having a hard time with people on a bus for a while, and i cracked, my face went bright red, i was wearing the full winter uniform with the heater on... that was bad.
anyway, i havnt seen my psychologist for a long time...i'm too scared to, she wants to start getting me to face my fears, one at a time. like i need to write a list about what makes me anxious and i need to put myself in those situations regularly so i can get used to it... *twitch* why can't we just wake up one day and be cured and free of social problems?!!

rachel

Banned
despise said:
i cried in a meeting with my school co-ordinator once, in front of my parents too. now that was embarrassing!! we had a meeting because i refussed to do presentations and speeches. i didn't mean to cry but my dad brought up the story about me having a hard time with people on a bus for a while, and i cracked, my face went bright red, i was wearing the full winter uniform with the heater on... that was bad.
anyway, i havnt seen my psychologist for a long time...i'm too scared to, she wants to start getting me to face my fears, one at a time. like i need to write a list about what makes me anxious and i need to put myself in those situations regularly so i can get used to it... *twitch* why can't we just wake up one day and be cured and free of social problems?!!
i can relate to what u went through. once in yr 11 i didn't turn up for my presentation and also jigged classes where i felt threatened that the teacher would call upon quiet people to contribute. my year advisor found me jigging one day and asked all these Qs about why i was jigging adn didn't present, and i just fell apart. the worst thing is i ended up having a long meeting with the head of welfare and the school principal and they kept guessing what was wrong with me, thinkin for a while that i was being abused or something. now that made my actual problem seem so stupid to say aloud to them, so. adn i was crying all da way. i then couldn't face those peopel after wards, but got through it somehow.
and my counsellor also asked me to list all those things i felt were hard to do, starting from small steps. but i just always procrastinate or find excuses, i guess that is why i havn't got anywhere!

black_mamba

Interesting topic.

I've never voluntarily seen a psychologist in my life but was forced to speak to a mental health counsellor (same thing I guess) after my exceptionally poor school attendance.

I sat with my family facing him. He asked me why I didn't want to go back to school. I lowered my head and said nothing. Then he got my family to leave the room. He asked again what was wrong with me and just lowered my head again and broke down. That was that. I went home, nothing achieved. I didn't even make eye contact with the poor man.

I ended up going back to school and my teacher asked how I was - 'I have no friends' I blurted out before promptly letting out some more tears. But he was so understanding about it and from then on tried to help me feel comfy at school. I was 12 years old at the time.

My teacher was far more help than any professional could've been at the time. I hope the people here who've not had any success find someone they can relate to, professional or not.

Chilling__Echo

Something you should know about Psychiatrists (not pschologists) is that a very high number of them have big emotional problems themselves.
I'm not just airing an opinion here either because studies have consistently shown their occupation to have the highest suicide rates of all.
I think that maybe its because they question themselves because of what they either know or see.

this is so interesting! especially to an aspiring psychologist makes me feel good (or bad, not a good stat i guess)

i have cried but i try so hard not to, i just try adn remember that people go for the harder things in their lives so it's probably alot more common than you think though it still is embarrassing i know. plus my face gets so red when i cry it's like i'm blushing (why do i have to be so white???) and that's my main prob with my SA, i'm deathly afraid of blushing.

rachel

Banned
me too chilling echo. my biggest problem right now is blushing followed by shaking. im wondering do u wear a lot of makeup to hide it? do u feel other people look at you weird? for me the thought of blushing makes me blush..self fufilling it becomes

cody2468

Theres nothing to be embarrassed about if you break down while you are seeing your psychologists. Isnt that the reason you are seeing one in the first to overcome your problems and move on. Sometimes it is really painful talking about whats troubling you and you might cry but afterwards it feels better once you have. It helped me anyway although I wouldn't say much until I trusted the psychologist first. If you dont feel comfortable with the person you are seeing try and find another one as they are there to help you.

Sue

i have been to see councellers ever since i was around 5. my head was all over the place. my mom couldent understand why i always held my hands in fists all the time. but the last counceller i had did the job but that was only because i didnt pretend anymore and used the time i had with her properly.

thats it for me. im not going back to councelling unless im in real trouble but im finding myself being able to manage things ok now

shae

Yes,
I have to remind myself, not to wear mascara, cause I looked like a racoon, but that is half my problem because makeup is my social mask, so I dont know what I'm going to do.

I have not cried that hard with a therapist yet. I felt like such a dick, I told him I'm leaving and he let me out the side door.

I hate this crying, me bawling and he just sitting there all quiet. ick.

I've had responses on another forum, and they say this crying is a good thing, all healing, whatever. A good session apparently.

shae

ShiJai

I've lost count of how shrinks etc. that I've seen over the years. The more I talk, the less I ever want to see that person ever again. Too humiliating. So I stop for awhile, till I can't cope any more and I try again with a new one.
As for crying, I never do, except at the shrinks. I hate it!, and I'm sorry to say that I don't feel better for having done so.. :?
At present I'm seeing a new one, and so far so good. But that also could be because I refuse to run this time, and my shrink is understanding and doesn't push me faster than I can handle. She even went so far as to forbide me to tell her things until I had seen her a few more times. :)
No-one should be ashamed of their tears (even though we are), it's simply depression brought on by all our many quirks, and a way of letting us know we need help. Just as not being able to cry is.

ShiJai.

thelostworld said:
i made an appointment with a psychiatrist in like 2 weeks, and i fucking dont want to go. i've been to 2 psychologists and i hated their condescending, smug attitudes. everytime i talk about myself and my problems, I stary crying, it's like a reflex. i feel so embarrassed...does anyone else do this?

I did. And I also felt embarrassed in the beginning. As I came to trust the person I could let go and cry without feeling bad about it.
However crying IS good for you. You let out chemicals of your body that depress you.

Pearl

I tend to cry nearly every therapy session which is hugely embarrassing. I just can't help it, mention a sensitive topic, an extremely sensitive topic that l don't discuss with anyone, and it hits the spot. Usually l try to hide it, and my therapist points to the tissues which makes me feel really ashamed and self conscious, but l get over it fairly quickly. I hate breaking down in front of people. It really does signal undealt with issues though, and therapists should accept it with grace. I don't think l'm really dealing with these touchy subjects though if they bring tears every time they're raised :?

tewstroke

i've never seen a psychiatrist but i have been called to the office many times to visit with the school counsellors. i remember one time i went because i refused to do a presentation in front of class, this was months after it was due by the way i still can't believe they made me do it, i felt like that teacher was picking on me he even threatened to not let me pass if i didn't do it :x and the counselor only made me feel worse about doing it she just kept asking me why and i kept saying i don't know this went on until she finally quit and told me that i should just do it, alright all of that was to say that no i haven't seen a pschiatrist but i would like to see one i need to let some things out.

and also, what is the difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist

ShiJai

A psychiatrist has studied medicine and can write prescriptions. A psychologist hasn't and can't.

ShiJai. :p

gg

:arrow: i have never been to a psychiatrist or doctor about my probs. but i would like to. i just want to ask someone what happens the first time you go & what do they say to ya? & also whats the difference between psychiatrist, psychologists, councilors etc?