Do u get enough sunlight?

psych

I'm curious about this, because I noticed that doctors only tend to have a go at SA with medication, & perhaps therapy.
I feel a tackle it from every angle approach may work better...?

I noticed improvements in my negative self defeating feelings associated with SA after I began taking a vitamin d supplement. & I believe a broad spectrum B vitamin for stress relief has also helped.

I know I become a cave dweller during my worse bouts with this disorder... What do you guys think?

WeirdyMcGee

Absolutely, the amount of sunlight can have an affect on your mood levels.

Do I get enough sunlight?
Not at all. I'm allergic and it's painful for me to be in the sun.
I take alot of vitamins, shots, pills, supplements to make up for it as well as vitamin enriched skin creams and facial treatments-- any regular person would be floored at how much I do to try and make up for the lack of sunlight exposure but I have an extremely difficult time trying to make up for it in vitamin form and thusly- feel terrible and fatigued all the time.
Not sure if it really would be that much better if I could get sun exposure and I may never know... but from what doctors have been telling me, the sun can have a BIG affect on your looks/actions/mood.

Valhalla

Far from enough. I'm pale, and maybe one of the reasons I'm often so tired might be the deprivation of sunlight.

But I have little motivation to get outside with bright sun and blue sky. It blinds you, it's sweaty, it ruins books, paper and other things, plus you have the risk of cancer if staying in the same place for too long.

I've taken pills, usually during the winter months. I find it stupid though. This is where I live - the winter is dark. That's it. Why change matters you don't control? Move to a desert if it's bugging you.

psych

Far from enough. I'm pale, and maybe one of the reasons I'm often so tired might be the deprivation of sunlight.

But I have little motivation to get outside with bright sun and blue sky. It blinds you, it's sweaty, it ruins books, paper and other things, plus you have the risk of cancer if staying in the same place for too long.

I've taken pills, usually during the winter months. I find it stupid though. This is where I live - the winter is dark. That's it. Why change matters you don't control? Move to a desert if it's bugging you.

Sorry to hear that, Valhalla. ::(:

To help with SA. It's something I don't control, without a lot of help.
Self defeating, bordering on paranoid, negative thought patterns are a big part of my disorder, anyhow.

A little more background for this thread....

I work in a psychiatric hospital as a lowly Mental Health Aide...
But, I do get to interact with psychiatrists on a daily basis...

I also have to run groups on the unit at times. :eek:

In order to achieve this, I had to find coping mechanisms. & I found antidepressants to not be useful (for myself) because I gained weight, & lost my sex drive... Which made me even more introverted...
So, I've been fiddling with supplements & herbals as a part of my defense against this disorder.

Five years ago, I never would've believed that I could run groups, or even work in a busy hospital setting.

I want to get responses to this question because I feel that it possibly has value in helping others.
icon3.gif

Valhalla

Sorry to hear that, Valhalla. ::(:

I was just complaining about how people try to change things of nature. I hear how everyone hates snow, cold and darkness. If they don't like it, then just move away.

Sorry if I'm going off-topic.

psych

It's ok. :cool:
I like snow unless I gotta drive in it. I'm in Massachusetts, in the states. We get used to winters here, or we move somewhere else. :rolleyes:

I found that I do best with a fish oil supplement (to get omega 3 vitamin) that has vitamin d3 in it taken before breakfast, or with my morning smoothie works the best for me, so far...

lyricalliaisons

No, I do not get enough sunlight, but getting more would only make me worse. Sunlight worsens my mood, not improves it. I've always been very sensitive to lights and brightness and sun is just too much for me to handle. It makes me anxious, jittery, and depressed. It's one of the reasons I hate summer so much.

psych

No, I do not get enough sunlight, but getting more would only make me worse. Sunlight worsens my mood, not improves it. I've always been very sensitive to lights and brightness and sun is just too much for me to handle. It makes me anxious, jittery, and depressed. It's one of the reasons I hate summer so much.

Ok, that's a bummer. ::(: You might perhaps benefit from a supplement. Here's more info... Vitamin D Council > Health conditions > Mental health and learning disorders > Depression

Vitamin D and depression

A number of studies report some connection between vitamin D levels and the risk of depression. Low vitamin D levels may be related to depression rather than contributing to the disorder. In addition, an increased risk of depression may be related to several vitamin D–sensitive diseases. For example:

mikebird

Banned
I just wanted to start this thread, so I was very glad you've done it!! :)

My main ray dose this year was last weekend on a friend's yacht getting around the British south coast, which seems to be a half-yearly regular, managing to fit in, but unsure if this could continue for very long.

I do get a good private ray dosage at home (good for SA sufferers, rather than a crowded beach?), when not working in an office, but I'd much prefer the latter . Similar to Skype, allowing me to travel without moving. :)

Pale skin allows a reasonable dose, naked, but does get hard to spend too long. I get hot :eek: :cool:

Last edited: