"Do not speak unless spoken to" mentality

Zarrix

I really dislike this. Whether it's online, talking to friends, at work, or even just meeting someone at a shopping center, I hate initiating conversations. It frustrates me so much because I want to talk to certain people, but I just can't bring myself to do it when the moment arrives.

For instance, at work, I almost never say hello to anyone when I or they first walk in UNLESS they say hello first. I know it's rude, but it seems like there's some kind of psychological barrier holding me back.

Last edited by a moderator:

lyricalliaisons

I've been that same way all my life. I can't initiate anything. Everyone has to talk to me first, if they want to talk at all. I would actually prefer it if people didn't talk to me, but unfortunately, they sometimes do. Still....

I would like to be able to talk to people. Sometmes, I'll have something I want to say & I just can't bring myself to say it. So much has been left unsaid because of it.

dan_e

I feel the same way, Zarrix. I have to force myself to say hello first or say it at all. I constantly remind myself to 'remember to say hello,' but when the time comes, I can't seem to do it right. People either can't hear me, or I sound miserable because it's so hard to get the words out. Even when I wave, it's only a half wave or doesn't even resemble a proper greeting from their point of view. I want to communicate with people, but I feel completely stifled when it comes time to do it

ZiggyCosmicJive

I feel the same way. Even saying something as simple as "hi" can be difficult for me. I'm making progress, but it's still very hard for me to initiate conversations with girls I'm attracted to.

bitingthepea

Yeah, at work, I work with a husband and wife who are the friendliest people ever, but when I'm working, I can't talk! I dodge them and try to look happy, but they must think I'm ignorant. Then, when I go, they say, "Bye darling" and "Bye sweetheart," which makes me angry because I should be nicer to them, but I can't!

no1

Banned
You know, most people are rude, and that's another reason why I don't talk to people. They don't even notice it. It's like they do it automatically. It has become a characteristic of many people to be selfish and rude towards people they don't know. I really don't like it. They try to dominate you, make you look stupid, feel stupid, like you don't have common sense, and so on.

Or maybe most people just don't want to talk to anyone they don't know. But what if that person has something in common with them? They won't know because they don't "talk to strangers."